cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Roberts_Farms
Friend

chisel plow points

I just picked up a 9 shank brillion disc chisel that is in need of some new points.  My question is should I go with the twisted points like it has on it now, or put straight points on?  I'm planning on pulling this rig across corn stalks.  Any help would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
James22
Frequent Contributor

Re: chisel plow points

I liked and ran straight chisel spikes, but it will be tough to get thru stalks without disking or some vertical type tillage.  Better for me because they left the ground smoother.  Stick with the twists unless you are willing to make some type of pre-chisel pass.

0 Kudos
Roberts_Farms
Friend

do you think think the straight disc blades in front of the shanks will cut the stalks? 

0 Kudos
James22
Frequent Contributor

If the stalks are pretty light, it might work, but I wouldn't chance it.  We are running an inline DMI which has a disk ahead of each shank and if the stalks are a little damp it still will occasionally plug although we ran a vertical tillage prior to ripping.  BT stalks and a high yielding corn situation would be tough sledding in my opinion without an initial stalk sizing operation.  Perhaps others will be more positive.

0 Kudos
huserag
Contributor

How much residue do you want buried? Twisted shovels will cover more than strait shovels. Coulters should size residue good enough to go through chisel. Although we had problems on top of the clay nobs. Coulters rolled over hard ground and stalks.
0 Kudos