cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gollllly
Friend

compact tractor markup

What can I expect when trying to purchase a new 40hp tractor with cab-loader and blower as far as being able to dicker?  Been looking at the CaseIH-John Deere, looked at the off markets, but I seem to like the Bobcat.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
k-289
Senior Advisor

Re: compact tractor markup

A    good  stable  dealer  would  be  a " top priority"--if you have to travel very far for service---.50 cents a mile ! 

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

Nothing holds resale like a Deere and dealers are all over.  They usually have good financing also, if needed.

0 Kudos
pan ag
Contributor

I think you should try for about 80% of list.  I like the "Build Your Own" part of the Deere sales website.  It allows you to spec the tractor and find the exact list price as spec'd, then it's off to the haggling.  I think I've once gotten into the mid 70's% range and I think I've been as high as 86%.  A well-equipped tractor will have more room for discount than a plain jane one.

Back in the old days when buying a vehicle we used to  take the base price and discount that 20% and then add up the options and discount that 50% and the total of those two numbers would be very close to the dollars the dealer had in the car and would give you a starting point.  With all the programs, rebates, dealer consolidations, gov't bailouts etc we have now, who really knows what anything is worth.  Anyway, that's about autos, not tractors.

One thing I'm quite sure of is we are in a slow but steady state of deflation for a very long term (like a decade).  It may not feel like it right now in ag with upward spiraling commodity prices and input costs, but for the real of the world, it is.  While farm machinery is quite high, and dealers have their way right now, sometime down the road ag will be pulled into the self-feeding downward spiral of deflation that is just starting.  When that happens, machinery prices will begin to drop just like home prices.

Whoa!  How did I get on that tangent.    

nwobcw
Advisor

I bought a Deere compact in 2005 new.  65 HP   I went down the option list ordering everything I wanted.   It all boiled down to them giving me the options and charging me list on the tractor.  I think there were about $2800 in options.  They also threw in an $1100 rear blade for $400.

0 Kudos