cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor

Re: for you old farmall guys???

which reminds me ,,,,a new set of sparkplug wires is what mine needed also.

the old ones were literally falling apart

0 Kudos
Advisor

Re: Pertronix solid state ignition

Tell me more.  Where do I get one, what do I need to know to order the right one, etc

We have a 656 with a loader on it that Dad thought was the greatest tractor he ever bought.  I guess compared to a 460 with the same loader it is an improvment.  But I guarantee ... GUARANTEE .. that it will die at least 4 times on you before it gets warmed up and running well better.  It is the most irritating tractor on the place. If electronic ignition will do ANYTHING for it I am interested.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Got mine right from the dealer but not sure what brand mine is.

It will help.  As with most things timing is everything.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

We run a 656 with an old Farmhand F-11 loader daily ourselves. Before you start swapping out things, there are a few things to try.

1)  new wires, no matter how hot your spark, with bad wires, it won't run good.  A sure sign of this is the same plug fouling over & over again.

2) As the distributer wears, it gets 'sloppy' as mentioned above.  Be sure the contacts on the breaker points are not pitted, and then open them up some, I have ours at something like .035 or so.  What happened on ours, is as the engine would run, the wear in the distributer would cause the cam to not open the points the same every time.  Too big an opening can goof up the dwell, but if they don't open up enough, you will get rough running, pit the points, and foul plugs.  I'm just guessing on the gap, more important is that you are SURE they open over every cam, and be SURE they close between each cam.  You may need to re-time it after this, but when in doubt, err towards too big a points gap rather than too small.

I did this about 2 years ago after advice from an 'old timer' mechanic at the local dealership who recommended to try this first, then a hotter coil after that, and electronic ignition only if that didn't help.  Oh, and be sure to give the distributer a shot of grease every oil change, too, to prevent excess wear.  Now our 656 starts down to zero degrees 'no problem', and if I let it idle a bit & play with the choke setting until it warms up, I have no problems worth complaining about in how it runs.  Getting it to steer, or have hydraulic flow at zero and below is a far bigger hassle than the engine dying.

Also, getting rid of the generator, and going to a one-wire alternator (requires a new mounting bracket) also did wonders in getting the old girl to start, as the generator didn't seem to charge the battery up as well as the alternator does.

Lastly, when the engine suddenly 'cuts out' when it is going to die, if you quickly step on the clutch & close the throttle, ours will usually 'catch', and keep running. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Mike, there are several places that sell them.  Here's a few:  The Brillman Company - www.brillman.com 888 274 5562.

Tom Hassenfritz Equipment (or T.H.E.) www.the-co.com 800 634 4885.  Denny's Carb & Ignition www.dennyscarbshop.com  937 368 2304.  Like the other posters mentioned, new plug wires should be installed.  These outfits can get you fitted new plug wires too.  I've only done this on 4 cylinder tractors, but surely they would have 6 cylinder stuff too.

If I may be so bold, I also think a subscription to RED POWER Magazine should be a requirement for anybody running this older IHC stuff.  The articles and advertisers provide so much of what you will need to keep this equipment up to snuff.  It's a beautiful mag with color photograhy that is usually close to 100 pages but at $28, this 6 issue per year magazine is not a freebie.     www.redpowermagazine.com .

Enjoy your blog Mike.

0 Kudos