cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor

hand held GPS

I want a hand held GPS which can easily be transfered to any of my tractors. I want to be able to easily store spots in fields, such as groundhog holes. and then later to be able to find those holes to destroy them. What is a good hand held GPS for storing field points???

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Re: hand held GPS

garmin is the name brand. i had a magellen but to me it was not user freindly. but for geocaching i use delorme all will work tho

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

A couple years ago my wife got me a Garmin E-trex Legend.

If you want it to 'remember' any point in the field, you press and hold the 'waypoint' button for about 1 second.  You can do this while driving, if you want, and when you get to the end of the field, you can label the point 'hole' or 'cockleburr' or whatever you want to.  This takes maybe 15 seconds to a minute, depending on how long the title is.

Why I mentioned the E-Trex Legend specifically, is because it has a lot of little features useful to a farmer.
Drive all the way around a field, no matter how irregular the border, and it will calculate area in either acres, square yards, or square meters.

It will tell you distance from any point you choose, accurate to within about 6 feet.  Works VERY well for marking a field border on a center pivot irrigated field, where the pivot will reach to irrigate

It has all Federal and State highways in a map of the US that you can zoom in and out, with pretty much any town located.  If you get the E-trex with the little expansion slot, you can get a memory card loaded with maps down to street addresses, and county roads.

You can go to a big farm show, park wherever, and walk straght back to your truck.

You can save any trip you take, and bring your route up on the map, again zoomable in and out, and accurate to within 6 feet.  Gives a hired man or a chemical applicator a foolproof way to find that field of yours that you can't quite give good enough directions to.

I'm sure there are others that do this and more, but for the price, it seems to have a lot of 'farmer friendly' features.  Can be found on Amazon for not much over $100.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

I've been wondering about one of those for years. I never knew if the signal would be bothered by being in a cab..or whether you'd have to step outside if you wanted to mark a spot in your field. Sounds like I ought to get out to the sporting goods store and see if I can find one.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

Pupdaddy

Good idea to consider. I will have to make sure I can get a portable antenna possibly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

Nebrfarmr

Good idea to make sure a card slot is on the GPS

All you people were very helpful. Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

Another thought Pupdaddy, GPS works fine in a car, it should work fine inside a tractor or combine, no interference from the metal.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Mine works fine in the tractor cab.  I usually turn it on, and put it on the dash while I check oil & grease everything, and it's ready to go before I am.  It takes a minute or two to lock onto the satellites, and that goes faster on the dash, by the windshield.  Once locked on, I can have it in my shirt pocket, and it works fine.  It will find the sattelites if just in my pocket, but it takes a little longer.

It is interesting to have it on, while cultivating, or similar job, and then see how many miles you traveled that day.  It might surprise you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Make sure you know how accurate it is.  It takes a better antenna to get a good location, I think.    Maybe you can find the ground hog hole within 50 meters but maybe it would be better if it was within 5 or even less.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

any garmin delorme or magellen will put you within 3 ft easy

0 Kudos