cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: hand held GPS

I'd have to see that.  They can't even promise you will be within 3 feet after lunch, let alone 6 months later when you're looking for that tile line.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

thats funny jim. once you fire up a new handheld it will tell you the accuracy. i use a delorme to geocach which is treasure hunt using gps satelites. ive had all brands . if you kknow how to use one a windshield mount can do the same thing

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

A year ago I would have agreed with that statement.  However this spring I read something about removing the errors they put in the sattelites on purpose (I believe they had them there for national security reasons, but realized terrorists get around that pretty easy) accuracy has increased considerably.

Now, the waypoints I stored before then, might be off by 10 yards or so, but now, mine is so accurate as to be almost scary.

I have a broadcast sprayer on my ATV.  I literally can use my Garmin handheld GPS for spraying.  My sprayer covers 15 feet each side of center, and once I figure out exactly where to set the zoom, and how far from my last line to go, it is accurate enough to use as a spraying monitor for weed patches in the pasture.  I can even go home, shut the unit off, refill and eat lunch, drive back to the pasture (less than 3 miles, so I just drive the ATV), turn the unit on, and literally start where I left off.  I would say accuracy is within 3-4 feet or so, if you come back later in the day, or another day, and probably within 6-10 inches, if you come right back, without turning the unit off.  I once remember straddling a lone thistle in the pasture, and zoomed the GPS in as much as I could, and did my darndest to follow my last 'track', and it was close enough, I wound up straddling that same thistle again, within 6 inches of center. 
My next project will be to find some sort of way to mount the unit on the ATV, so it is centered on the machine, and held at an angle so I can see the screen without glare, to make it easier to use for this purpose.

0 Kudos