cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ohio farmer

hydraulic oil

I have a white 195 that I am changing the hydraulic oil on. I went to get new oil and the oil I usally get was not available. So I got some universal oil and it is very thin. I was wondering what is the best oil? One friend said I should use  John Deere hygard which he thought was very good in final drives, hydraulic; and transmissions. Any comments would be helpful thanks.

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Advisor

Re: hydraulic oil

I use either Deere oil or Pennzoil from TSC.  Depends where and when I need it.    Haven't had any problems.  I do stay away from the off brand stuff.  I figure you get what you pay for.

0 Kudos
Contributor

For what's its worth,  before the duramax with the allison we always had chevys with automatics.  4 speeds were and are hard to come by.  Even with tranny coolers pulling was a problem and keeping the tranny working.  Local farmer slash mechanic told us to run deeres hygard in the tranny.  Takes the heat way better than dextron.  Started running a mix of half to three fourths hygard and rest dextron.  Solved the problems.  Beware if u try this it void any warranty.  In closing we are not color blind to only green but, hygard is good stuff and used it in other applications with success.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

I would highly recommend using deere high guard. I run it in everything (even if the equipment isn't green). I would not mix it with anything though. I know that different manufactures use differnt additives to there oil and what might be good in the seperate oils could react and actually have a negative affect
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

I also had good luck with Hy-Gard.  Agco has a similar product, 821XL I believe is the correct number and is similar viscosity (20W).   But I use Hy-Gard in everything except the IH stuff and that gets Hytran.

0 Kudos
Contributor

A friend has a 105 and it takes different kinds of hyd oil. If I were you I would check with a Agco dealer. It took oil in two places and we put JD Hygard in one and a different kind from Agco. Hope this helps. Vern

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

0 Kudos
Contributor

The over/under in the Agco parent tractors is not too finnicky about what is in it.

As otheres have said you should avoid mixing different blends of transmision and hydraylic oil. Some of the transmissions and systems in older tractors and vehichles have clutch plate materials that need the correct oil to work and not deteriorate, or for the passages and valves to not cause foaming.

0 Kudos
Contributor

About mixing different hydraulic oil.  Have yet to know anyone that has bouht a used piece of equipment and drained the hoses,cylinders,or hydraulic orbit motors.  Never known someone to operate a used piece of hydraulic equipment and next day drain the tractor or whatever and put new fluid in the next day.  Just saying!!  Never bought anything  based on previous tractor that pulled it and have yet to have any problems.

0 Kudos
Advisor

i drive a truck and went to a refinery to get a load. there was many brand names and many bargain brands in the same warehouse so who knows. whatever the retailer they always say that its either better or its just as good as......

0 Kudos