cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Re: hydraulic oil

Agree plowboy.  There's a lot of oil in say a field cultivator wih wings and hoses running to the rear for a culttipacker or whatever.  I know of farmers who are vigilant about changing engine oil but hyd./tranny oil is not a big concern when the hyd. oil is actually more likely to be contaminated from buying used implements or borrowing them.  Hydraulic oil lasts quite a while but it doesn't hurt to change the filter more often than recommended.  Yes a hyd. filter is expensive but cheap compared to a rear end/tranny failure.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Has anybody been able to figure out where Deere oil comes from?

0 Kudos
Contributor

This topic of discussion has really got me thinking nwobcw.  What if previous owner of equipment had an internal problem and system was full of filings from tractor transmission problems.  Thinking I should run implement and at least change filter right away.  Goggled deere hygard and plus 50 oil.  Appears chevron keeps coming up.  Also came upon talk of deeres hygard has more zinc in it than most hydraulic oils even if they all have the same ratings.  Also appears to be some form of 20w oil.  Not entirely sure what the zinc does.  Also appears that chevron does make hygard to special specs.  Can't be 100% sure though.  How do we find out for sure who makes deeres oils?  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

nwobcw perhaps we should make "who makes deere oil and to what standards" a discussion of its own.  Bet somebody knows the truth.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Zinc is referring to zinc diophosphate which is an extreme pressure anti-wear additive.  Generally good stuff to have.  HyTran doesn't have the zinc compound but uses something else which I believe isn't as good, therefore you will get more wear.  CIH offers the zinc compound in a 60% mix called HTO which you add to HyTran so it can be used in their hydrostatic transmissions.  HyTran alone would soon destroy the high pressure pumps/motors.   I don't think the zinc compound is compatible with the CIH  transmission clutch or perhaps the brake material.  Perhaps a problem with slip/stick characteristics or it might cause the "paper" to deteriorate.  I use HyTran in all IH machines but have recently added HTO to the IH combine's hydraulic tank which supplies both the hydraulics and propulsion.  Made the hydrostatic trans run much more quiet.  Since I'm doing this probably should go to HyGard and therefore not need to screw around with the expensive HTO.  Everything else gets standard HyGard and any separate hydraulic systems that use 10W get low viscosity HyGard.

0 Kudos
Advisor

The subject of Deere oil has come up before ad I think someone said to call the 800 number, if there is 1, on the oil container and see if that leads you somewhere.   I don't remember any posts if someone actually did or not.  When I buy a piece of used equipment I remove the hose ends and let as much oil drain out as possible.  When I buy a used tractor I change all the fluids and filters no matter what the oils look like.  On a new tractor I'change the filters after 50 hours to get rid of filings and debris from the manufacturing processes.  If I have to borrow or rent something from a questionable source I change the hyd. filter right after using it.  Powershift trannys are extremely susceptible to dirty oil caused failures.  I recently changed my Deere vacuum planter to a PTO operated pump instead of using the tractor hydraulics to run it.  Yes it cost some dough but the oil stays cooler and need not worry about grabbing the wrong lever when doing ends, short rounds, etc.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Now that I think about it I think the Chevron name like you said before came up.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Good post James.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Must be just luck that I have never had any trouble with used equipment or rental equipment contaminating the tractor.  Upon purchase of any used tractor or combine it does go right to the shop for inspection.  I also pull oil,hydraulic, and coolant samples once a year on tractors and combine.  Appears to be a good program, knock on wood!!!!!  Thanks for the info on the zink James.

0 Kudos
Advisor

It's kind of funny..When I was just a kid, we used a lot of Hy-Tran in the 1026 hydrostatic tractor that we bought new in 1971. After a couple years..our fuel retailer suggested he could supply Sohio universal hydraulic oil at a much cheaper price. Being the thrifty individuals we are..that sounded good, so we started running the UTH in both 1026's we owned..along with the Hydro 70 that we bought new in 1975. So far...we've probably had 2 different universal hydraulic oils in those tractors..and are now moving on to a third brand. The original 1026..has around 9000 hours on it now..and I'm pretty sure you could run a pressure test on it..and come darn close to the original hydrostatic pressure the manual says is within "specs". We planted with that tractor...worked ground with it...harvested sugar beets with it...and have had the horsepower all the way up to 140 at one time. I'd say the amount of wear you get in hydraulic systems..is more directly proportional to the amount of service you put into them...getting the filters changed and the oil on a regular basis. Water is the worst bugaboo..and condensation in the transmission is the number one cause.

0 Kudos