Contributor

keeton seed firmers

Do the keeton seed firmers pay for themselves

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: keeton seed firmers

Without question. I have read several articles claiming they can add up to 6 bushels per acre in some situations. That would pay for them very, very quickly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

Pupdaddy, thanks for your time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

most definately

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

I bought a planter where the previous owner had Rebounders on it.  when it was time for new opener disks, I put on new True-Vee disks, and went with Keetons.

I think the Keetons do a slightly better job pushing the seed down into the soil, if you have dry soil on top, and want the seed pressed into moist soil, they are better at that.

If, on the other hand, you have plenty of moisture at planting time, the Keetons will sometimes ball up with wet soil, not enough to plug anything up, but whenever I stop for the day, I will whack them with a screwdriver handle to knock the dirt off.  You especially need to do this at either the end of the day, or at the begenning of the day, because after the soil dries overnight, it just balls up bigger.  During the day, it seems to catch only so much dirt, and keeps going OK.

They definately DO pay for themselves, and the rougher the field, and the less tillage done, the more they seem to help.

However, if you plant more often in too much moisture, than too little, maybe look into the rebounders. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Absolutely right. I switched to rebounders for the reason you give, but if conditions are dry, i'd prefer the keetons.

0 Kudos