cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor

marker wheel settings

I have a JD 7000 corn planter.  I cant get the marker wheels to cut hard enough to see the trenches when no tilling.  Any suggestions on a remedy??  I have changed the degree on the wheels but it doesn't help.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: marker wheel settings

Does that still have the marker discs that push soil out? If it does..see if you can switch them..right to left..and pull dirt in toward the center of the planter..that ..and the angle of the marker arm..should help them dig better...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

I guess I shouldn't say "right to left"...but you get the idea...you need to pull dirt toward the center of the planter, and the downward angle of the arm..should help the disc to pull more dirt. I had a friend once..that the markers would actually fold in on him because he was pushing soil out...I told him to switch them..and he said he couldn't believe the difference. You might have to cut rivets in the bearing housing..and flip flop the disc...if so..you can probably just bolt the bearing housing back together....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

I'll look and see if I can switch then around.  I turned them in and out and could not get a real good cut.  Lack of rain may have something to do with it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

My Dad bolted a small car brake rotor to the marker blade on our no-till drill for weight & it really helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Try using notched discs if you don't already have them.

0 Kudos
Advisor

turn them around and set length to inside of front tire instead of center of the hood --you can follow that much better

0 Kudos