cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevehink
Contributor

no more propane

I have heard there is only one plant in America which made propane for cutting torches. It blew up, so I'm told. So what is going to be the alternative.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
docharing
Veteran Contributor

Re: no more propane

Acetylene plant burned up not a propane plant. My supplier is offering propane as an alternative, works well in torches.

0 Kudos
onebigbyrd
Veteran Contributor

i use the propane that you use for the gas grills

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
stevehink
Contributor

I stand corrected, thank you. Maybe you know, if propane can be used, why weren't we using it before. There must have been an advantage to acetylene. Also, it seems odd there was only one place in America which made acetylene. Were there too many governmnt regs.that discouraged others to compete.

0 Kudos
onebigbyrd
Veteran Contributor

all you havta do is change tips, kinda hard to get started if it is windy , probaly doesnt put out as much heat, sure is cheaper tho

0 Kudos
Pupdaddy
Advisor

I didn't hear about an acetylene plant exploding...but I can say, that I know propane won't put out the same heat that acetylene will. If you're cutting massive pieces of steel..that might be a problem, but my local scrap yards all use propane in their torches because acetylene is just too expensive. I've been thinking of converting to propane too..and just keeping a tank of acetylene as a back up for an emergency. I do know there are different grades of propane..and sometimes that accounts for the difference in price between suppliers. Our local welding supply company provides all the gasses one would expect..along with propane for torch work and grilling. I'm just going to assume they know what I need to make the switch.

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Once you use acetelyne, you'll wonder why you ever put up with propane.  It cuts faster, and cleaner than propane.  As for the cost, you also have to consider you will use at least 2X the oxygen (or more) cutting with propane as you would with acetelyne, with the thicker the metal, the bigger the difference.  Also, welding with propane is slower, and harder to do.