cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor

permatex on water pump gasket

I bought some blue sealant to put on my water pump gasket for the combine. It says to let it  cure for 24 hours but I don't want to wait that lone before resuming harvest. Can I just put everything back together and start harvesting?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: permatex on water pump gasket

do it all the time.  If you have the factory paper gasket, i like to use hi tach spray can, paint both surfaces and both sides of the gasket, let it get tacky, stick the gasket on, and go.  When using blue permatex, i would just put the permatex on the pump sparingly, put the gasket on the pump and assemble.  if you wait 30 minutes, the blue goo skins over. never had one leak.  the clue is to use it sparingly.  it will be fine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

What he said! Don't goob it on thick, just enough to see it is there and make sure the engine surface is dry and clean with no little chunks of old gasket stuck on it that have welded themselves over the last few decades. If the bolts go into water, hit them with a bit of the RTV as well.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I usually just coat them with gun grease. Sticks in place but can pull it apart if you need to. As long as you have all of the old gasket cleaned off you won't have a bit of trouble.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

I think I've used everything, High Tack, Copper High Tack, Permatex #1, Permatex #2, Aviation Form-a-gasket, Blue, Black, Red, Clear...and I believe White silicone sealants. The only thing I can say is this...the gasket does the initial sealing, if you tighten the bolts too tight and squeeze it out..or your surfaces aren't square and true...that's when your sealant helps. I'm not a big fan of grease..but I know folks who are. I like something that holds a gasket in place...and High Tack does that best. If there's some irregularity, but not much, the Aviation Form-a-gasket works good..but God help you if you have to scrape it off..LOL. If all else fails..I grab the Silicone...and the only time I worry about whether to let it set...is if I'm filling a hole that requires a lot of stability to keep it sealed. The end plates of a small-block Chevy intake manifold for example. We never used the factory gasket when racing..you just gobbed it up with a quarter inch of silicone..and set the manifold on. But you also never did that the day of the race..or you were going to end up with a faceful of oil. Overnight it would set up fine. I've also seen guys who use yellow weatherstrip adhesive (Yellow Death!) for things like valve cover gaskets. It seems to keep the thick rubber ones on light tin valve covers from squeezing out..and making a mess.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Cleaning is the most important part.  I use carb cleaner or brake cleaner to finish cleaning gasket surfaces.  Don't buy the cheap blue permatex type silicone, it's too slippery.  Use the hi-temp or black...anything but that slippery blue stuff.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

if you need a cement to hold the gasket in place caterpillar makes the best, they call it green glue used to know the part no. coat the gasket and surface make sure ti is in the right place the 1st time. part no maybe 5h 3471 but dont hold me to it

0 Kudos