cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor

planting speeds

Just planted barley using a case 5100 seed drill.  I was told that a drill plants the same amount of seed whether you go 2 mph or 5mph.  Any thoughts from anyone. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: planting speeds

..I don't think so. If you speed up, I believe it slows the rate down..whether from incomplete filling of the flutes or bouncing of the tires. I've had my drill run very differently in different soil conditions too...so whether it's noticeable tha the seed rate is going up or down probably depends on how variable your soils are too.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

On something ground driven everything affects population.  Speed, no-till vs. conventional.  When I used a Great Plains drill I had a record book I compiled to give me an idea what the population would be in differing circumstances.  For beans seed size is another variable as a drill plants pounds per acre.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Depends on your conditions and type of drill.  I used a JD 9300 hoe drill on some HRW wheat around a month ago and where the ground was a little finer, I had to drive slower to keep a drill ridge.  Just so happened that when I was traveling around 4 to 4.3 MPH, my rate was more accurate then when I went 4.5 and above.  I was curious about this myself, so when I drilled this past fall, I kept track of seed on every field individually as opposed to total seed bushels and averaging across total acres drilled.  I was extremely surprised with the results, this is something I am going to manage better as I go forward,

0 Kudos