cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

plow question

Hey guys, I might ask a question that makes me sound like a dipstick in just a second.

But should plows have some sort of gauge wheel on them? I have a 450 JD plow I bought a few months ago and it seems odd that it dont have one. Did someone get rid of it or sell the wheel or something? I can't find this plow online, so I am not sure its even the correct model, or else some numbers are missing....

I only bought this small old thing so I can plow up some sod in the summer as I pickup more land.. its definitely not a piece id use on the whole farm. maybe it would take a week to do 100 acreS? Idk lol!!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Frequent Contributor

Re: plow question

Most semi mount plows didn't have a gauge wheel but some did.  Should be able to adjust depth with cylinder on rear wheel that is in the furrow.a lot of 1450 Deere s did have gauge wheel.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

091512135929.jpgPlaying at the neighbors. That's my eleven year old at the wheel.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

It sort of depends on how big the plow is and what your soil conditions and fields are like. If it's more than 4 furrows and you have rolling land with variable soils and moisture having a guage wheel will make life a lot easier and do a much more even job. You could adapt a gauge wheel from almost any old plow to work with little cost and effort other than making an attaching bracket. It would be money well spent to have one imo.

0 Kudos