cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wjkrostek
Contributor

rolabar 258 rake trouble

I bought a used rolabar rake last year and have twice broke the universal joint at the wheel hub where the drive telescoping tube meets the wheel.  This joint  has a sharp angle but there must be thousands of these rakes in use. Has anyone had problems at this point or any idea why this is causing me a problem.  I raked maybe 50 acres before it broke after being replaced.   The gear box  doesn't get warm so it seems to be running right.   I must be doing something wrong but  don't see it.  Is it OK to back these rakes up?  They seem to freewheel when backed up. I don't start with big jerks.  The Telescoping assembly  doesn't slide all the way out and I don't see what keeps it in the tube. Is that the way it's made?  Any ideas will help.

Bill

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

Re: rolabar 258 rake trouble

I have two I use a lot and have not had that problem.  When you look at where it broke, can you put it back together and get an idea of whether it was broken because the knuckle got too tight and one part put too much pressure on another part?  If so, if you can prevent it from getting that much interference that may fix it.  That wheel can get pretty sloppy.  Maybe it's worth looking at it to see if it can be tightened up a bit so the u-joint runs within tolerances.  I'm guessing that if you hit the wrong kind of bump or ditch it may exceed it limits and pinch itself.

0 Kudos
wjkrostek
Contributor

Thanks for your response.  It seems like the drive line is not long enough and my fields are rough.  Does your drive line come apart?  Mine hits a stop of some kind and can't be separated.  I can't see anything that stops it but it will not separate. Seems to me that it would just come right out.  Can you back yours up while in gear?  I do rake some very heary spots at the ends after raking several times but thats not when it breaks.  How fast can you rake with yours?  

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

I can back up with mine in gear.  I can rake faster but don't like to go more than about 4 or at most 5 mph because it starts beating the leaves off and that defeats the purpose.

I don't know if mine comes apart or not.  Never had it apart.

0 Kudos