I'd seems to use a modified double disk
Drill, with one straight blade with another
On an angle.
Then crustbuster and sunflower again
Used the double disk, but a curved notched
Blade which to me would throw the dirt
And leave a row with no soil on top.
not sure what haybuster does...haybine
Seems to be like a single disk drill (or disk)
Krause seems to be like great plains
With the rolling cutters and drill, but
Structure is similar to nd.

Ok.....what would be good for a first
Timer?
Thank you
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Re: small no till drill

I was told that Deere's 1590 box drill was the best on the market. It uses a single disc opener so getting it in the ground usually isn't an issue, or so I'm told.
0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

I'm still using a Lilliston/Bushhog/Massey. I bought it real cheap. It's really heavy and if you keep the speed slow it will plant threw anything. Parts are available but not stocked by anyone I've found. on the down side lose residue dosn't flow threw it as well as I'd like and seed placement could be better. Placement is very poor above 3.5 MPH.
0 Kudos

John Deere makes the best drill by far.While they will cost more parts are cheaper.Resale will be the best if you need to sell it.Make sure you buy something with good parts service.When it,s time to use one it,s time.

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Even though I don't have a Deere I agree with illiceman.
0 Kudos

I had a GP drill.  Sold it when I bought a 15" row planter for beans.  In our heavy ground the Deere' s did a lot nicer job.  I would buy a Deere if I ever go back to planting beans with a drill.  Either one worked similar planting wheat but Deere is the way to go for beans, at least in my area.

0 Kudos

I have a 1560 JD which I bought new in 2002 and it has been used in no-till only. Does a good job both after corn and then full or double crop beans after wheat. Single disk openers. Have not replaced any bearings, only an occasional spring (easy to do). Knowing what I know now if I needed a drill I would buy a used 1560 even if the blades need replacing.

0 Kudos