cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

tow ropes

I need something substantial and safe to help pull my tractor and tile plow.   The manufacturer really encourages BIG tow ropes. I found 3 1/4 in. ropes with 125,000 cappacity , but have always worried about their strength and safety.  Also would like 2, to ease handling. (1 from tile plow hitch to the front of the plow tractor and one looped on the back of the tow tractor)I haven't been able find steel cable with strong enough towing capacity. Chains aren't really and option. any suggestions. thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: tow ropes

From what I understand, the big tow ropes are not the problem but the hardware on the ends is.. I've seen those big ropes used and abused but they say steel projectiles from them can kill you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Google kevlar tow ropes. They have made new tow ropes out of a kevlar mix that hold no static load when released. It makes them very safe to use, and the load strengths are unreal for the size of the rope.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

You can also try military surplus.  I have a steel cable that was used on a recovery viechle that was used to pull out army tanks.  The military replaces them every so often, no matter how much use they have or haven't gotten.  Mine was in probably 95% new condition, and is noticably bigger around than a mini-Maglite.  If I remember right, rated to tow a 50 ton viechle.

I even got the chain to go with it.  3/4 inch hi-test chain.  The hooks probably weigh close to 10# each.  They are ridiculously over-strong, but were so cheap for what they were I couldn't pass it up.  My cousin in the construction business says they will hold back a D-7 Cat.  I got it for about $6 per foot of length, and a 10 foot length of it weighs about 75#.

0 Kudos