cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kowchip
Friend

warming up a diesel

I have friends who have farmed north of Devils Lake, ND since 1906 and they have a practice of warming up their equipment sometimes for hours at 1000-1200 rpm.  Someone comment what the practice should be for equipment -10 years old.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: warming up a diesel

I'm not sure I see the sense in that.  One question might be does it have a turbo or not?  I'd prefer to have an engine heater and have the oil at a temperature where it would flow quickly.  If the oil is cold, I'd wait until oil pressure is above about 20 pounds and then operate it at less than full speed until the water temperature came up.  I don't pretend to be a diesel mechanic.  Perhaps you can ask someone familiar with your type of engine, operation and environment.  Again, the first thing I'd do is put an engine oil heater on.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Re: warming up a diesel

I like to let an engine warm up until the temp gauge starts to move. Especially when it's really cold. And not just diesels. It doesn't cost much. Not sure how much it helps but I know for sure it doesn't hurt.

This is more important when you are about to put them under heavy load. Like my old 3020, I will let it run for a couple of minutes and then pull up to put in supplement/beanmeal when I'm going to grind. Doesn't take much to run the supplement hopper and by the time I get to the bin the ol' girl is ready to pull.

In the spring during planting I will start the tractors and let them warm while I grease. Sometimes I will make the first half round in a lower gear.

0 Kudos