cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Re: where to buy tractor muffler?

Actually, my local case dealer sells kubota and they have done this sort of thing, and they have made mufflers fit. I mean c'mon: fender lights are 30 at jd, but 10 for generic.
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Man 89, I thought I was a tight wad, but... I used to cut corners on my equipment repairs every chance I could, but I've changed my thinking. My tractor is a 1987 vintage but I recently had it completely restored inside and out and the mechanical's of it have about 2500 hours since complete overhauls. This tractor is as nice as it ever was even when we drove it home brand new, probably better than new since I had it repainted with automotive paint. When it became close to a quarter million dollars to replace my tractor with a new one and nearly half a million to do the same with my combine my cutting corners on repairs came to a halt. Since I really don't want to drop my wad on new replacements, I'll take the best care of my existing equipment that I can. Only OEM is good enough for any of my iron. Just my opinion of course.
0 Kudos
Advisor

Lol well, most of my equipment is newer, so I don't have to fix much.

But I follow this principle very closely: you go broke a little at a time, then all at once. Therefore, I got to be cheap, but Its not like I'm using toy honest toy parts in my tractors. We all handle large sums of money, and some guys get numb from that and say yes to things they should t do, when cheap alternatives exist

Lol
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

My Deere dealer will match prices. Sometimes they have to sell I & T to be able to match others prices. I try to balance OEM, cheap aftermarket, and high quality better than new aftermarket parts.
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

This a minor point unless you are concerned about authenticity, but a different muffler may have a different sound.  May not matter to a field tractor, but a tractor for show or parade - maybe a guy likes the old sound.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Contributor

Update on muffler issue.....which would you buy??

Called the local dealers for a price....(hold on to your shorts!!!!).....$856.00!!!!   Every dealer (all five of them) quoted the same price.   Online, I could find a muffler for in IH 1460/1480 combine with comparable spects for $105.00!!!  Tell me how one can make it cheap and the other so expensive.

White dimensions:  26" long, 8" diameter, 2 1/2" inlet length, 5" outlet length.

Other muffler dimensions: 28" L, 6 1/2" D, Inlet L  5", Outlet L 10 1/2"

I would also need a support bracket under the outlet side welded on.

Inlet and outlet Diameters are 1/8" variances which they shop also says can be done with an expander.

Any other thoughts on this??  Thanks

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Re: Update on muffler issue.....which would you buy??

0 Kudos
Advisor

Dealers aren't cheap bro. Just cos it's Offbrand don't mean it's junk. Any good mech knows what off rands are junk and what's gold
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

with a small inlet 2.5 inch cat a muffler shop come up with something?

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

How are you going to feel if your dad bends the $850 one a week after you put it on. I often have to take these considerations into account when purchasing parts as well as equipment. It's why I don't own a true cab tractor.
0 Kudos