cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jec22
Veteran Advisor

Re: 16 - 17 Grain production

SW, around here if a cattle guy loses a cow he can get payment from the FSA office if the cause of death met certain requirements.  Did the guys that got hit by the fire qualify, or if they did, was the per farm limit to low to help them.  Or does a regular insurance policy cover cattle deaths from fire?

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Yes on the regular insurance if they carry it..........and I am not up on the particulars of that...

Yes, on the fsa help the family I am close to did get help from them.  I believe it was 1000 or 1100 per mother cow...  

I am not familiar with the limitations on the program ------ I am sure there is someone in a "backyard" state that thinks they did not deserve to be paid for the 300+- head they buried because someone somewhere only owns 10 head.  Someone who wants personal politics to "trump" public policy......

But the real example here is how usda creates rules that are not even debatable ,,, their just stupid.  Cows that were just damaged, udder ruined and half of hide burned, but still alive and could be slaughtered with a little feedlot time were ineligible unless destroyed because of their loss of reproductive ability due to injuries..... my poor detailing of it but

The reality of that rule hurt some members of this family more than the fire did.   

Did usda think $1000 was going to cover their loss???   

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

In case that isn't clear enough ...... usda required a bullet to the head  to qualify for assistance when there was a choice to sell for slaughter at $400 to 500 salvage value and have the meat for public or private use.  But for the rancher to make that determination to not let that animal go to waste he was basically lost usda assistance of any kind for that animal.

Is that good public policy??   A salvage reduction from the claim, might have made sense and allowed the rancher to feel good about some choice he had to make....   That's ignorance...

Jec ----- I am not personally sure if there was a limit on one owners claim in this case...... but I am sure there was assistance at a set rate per dead cow........ limpin, burned off hide,  and ironic lung damage had to find a way to be dead or no assistance.  and mercy killing was legal way.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

That is CRONIC  until this program gets it and then when the pc spell check fixes it it becomes IRONIC........

That is cronicly ironic....

0 Kudos
clayton58
Veteran Advisor

Don't hold me to this exact amount, but I seem to recall hearing that gov aid would cover up to about 25 head.  Whereas 200 hd is about the minimum for a full time ranch... Unless the cow herd is part of a larger diversified operation.  I've seen recently headlines saying many ranchers are still waiting for the promised gov. assistance in rebuilding their fences.  This after needing to wait approval before starting the rebuilding in the first place.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

I made the call this evening.  I haven't called my friend the rancher/fire marshal or Englewood, Ks. for so long I felt guilty......especially knowing what he has been through this year.  

He tells me there is two different assistance programs for the fire damaged area....

Death loss ....  The livestock indemnity Program...... which is limited at $125k per person if that entity has a ADI of $900K or less annually...... and is supposed to be 75% of fair market value.

I am told they payed $970 per cow  even though the published rate is $1038 per cow,  the published rate for a heifer over 800 lbs was $1001 per head.  Under 400 lb  published pmt is $471.22.... 

The governments math is as bad as ever if those figures are to represent 75% of fair market value..... 

Worst of all, if the cow sluffed her calf or had it just prior to the fire, or the fetus is expelled from the cow during the death or as a result of the heat,  and there is no proof of it having life outside the womb, usda will not pay anything for that life.

The fence is a different program.  Promises have been made at a value that is close to 75% of cost ... @ $7000 per mile with a limit of $100k per person which has the $900k ADI income restriction.  So 14 miles is it from usda.

But to answer your question...... your right ....Usda says we will help ...... after you finish and pay for the job, bring us your tickets and we will see how much we will help.  This particular 

0 Kudos
clayton58
Veteran Advisor

So I was wrong about the payment limits. Is the lower payout per head than published amounts due to sequester? I never did understand that and why it continued through several years. It also seems like it is selectively applied. But it's Thanksgiving. Let's let that stuff for some other time
0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Great thought Clayton,  I'll finish this with a thanksgiving topic thread

0 Kudos