cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Re: 2 man operation

Shaggy, your in a plenty hostile environment. I think your on the right path. But you gotta be patient. Just cause you get a pair of aces and go all in preflop and still lose dont mean your doing wrong. Sometimes good planning doesn't get you anywhere nor does it guarantee success.

Everyone's facing adverse weather even in the high yield areas. I'm sure 4-5 yrs of crap has taken its toll on you
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

The front split up as it came over us. Not even a drop. ECI might have been on the other edge of this split, I hope it grazed you. It did drop the temp a few degrees. Looks like RCR might have got some east of me.
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Thanks for the encouraging words 89, and I hear what your saying.  I know time heals all wounds, but some take a little longer than others.  I imagine if I'm able to cut a few bushels of milo later this fall my attitude will change, but switching to a no-till operation in the middle of a drought looks like it might have been a bad decision.  I'm not sure if I'm reaping all the benefits no-till provides.  Add that to the fact that it is also during this time that I completely took over the family farming operation doesn't set well in my stomach either.  Oh well, I guess my little pity party is over.  I've said it before, when the going gets tough the tough get going.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Nope ! Split me too ! I said many many bad words too ! Just a nice litte shower -- so far - trying to refire , looks like a good line headed to ya .

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Now, ECIN, I try to tell it the way I see it. It's just that most of the corn belt has been and is pretty dry. And it seemed like every forecaster out there was saying that these series of fronts coming through we're going to alive our dry situation. For some, it's going to help. For the bulk, they're going to get nothing. But to watch what was being said every body was baking on an inch to two. I didn't see it as even a possibility.

This next companion front really looks like a dud. It's not doing anything here in Central WI other than making it cloudy. Maybe this thing will develop more tonight, but I doubt it. What you get from the first front is probably what your going to get.

Did you guys notice how inactive the front was yesterday, and how much more rain its producing today. It's kinda weird. It's almost like the front needs to recharge for a day, before it can rain again.

Jen

0 Kudos
Esteemed Advisor

1/2 of a tenth over here ECIN. Our farms south of home a few miles did much better 3 to 6 tenths. Funny, that area got the 2" 10 days ago and didn't need much. It is a summer weather pattern for sure.

1/2 of a tenth though is enough till early next week since it is cool. Plus as Berry Bortz from SW KS taught me years ago, it is the evaporative index that matters not rainfall. With no wind until yesterday and super high humidity the evap index was pretty low last week and crop impact was pretty minor.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

They got nearly 3" in Findlay OH early this morning.
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I agree with you Time.  Generally our humidity is so low in Kansas that it takes about 1/2" of rain to get anything to even hit the ground.  By that time the front moves on with little to no rain even hitting the ground.

We're not losing much to evaporation though.  Mother Nature took what little we had weeks ago.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Agree Time - with dew points in the mid 70's last week - heat index around 100 to 103 the held in very good - I dug a post hole last Sat . At 3 feet - it was still wet - I mean wet down there - so good subsoil .

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

SW ohio, Surely you got something out of the front that went thru around 4 pm?
0 Kudos