cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wrestler
Senior Contributor

2 man operation

i bailed on my longs today. Made a small profit. Every bone in my body told me to hang on and make it rain. We shall see what happens.. Already backing off on rain chances. Just feels to me like we are gonna burn up.

0 Kudos
23 Replies
Mizzou_Tiger
Senior Advisor

Re: 2 man operation

Gonna????

We have gone backwards since Wed.......some acres have already given up the ghost, others have taken a hard hit......

At this point we need 2 inches plus, half inch would make things feel good for a day.........

I don't think anyone believes these precip maps........heck the local forecast don't even agree........on precip or temp....

Lotta corn starting to pollinate or fill now and the next 10 days..........with the dynamics of this spring........

This weekend is the 4th of July weather weekend............

0 Kudos
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

The forecasts are changing hour by hour. I'm going to wait until morning to see how thins shake out. Earlier, I too saw a much drier forcast - doom and gloom sorta dry. But another big low is wavering up in Canada. It may slip somewhat south of the border, and increase our rain chances for later next week. The other issue is once again a very high upper level. It's going to be which air mass is stronger. Stay tuned

Jen
0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

How much corn can hold off for another week to receive rain?
0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

The best 3/4ths

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Will only talk about my area - We have a chance of aVERY good crop here - the crops are in good shape - this week was the first 90degree temps all summer - and it hung in good - BUT we could use a rain ( hopeing that happens in the next few hours here  - that will keep us in the hunt for (me ) anyway a near record corn crop .

I did a pop. count and kernel check the other day - will wait till next week and check it again before posting that up .

Th Gravel corn - for the most part went in early and it could use a rain - I have seen alot of this corn and a rain today -even a quarter to half will also keep it in the hunt .

Beans  also look as good as I have seen them here -- ever - I could take a picture and they would look like the same fields  in Hancock ,Shelby , Rush , Decatur , Johnson Country's .

If Jenny would just get OFF the dam gloom and Doom and do a Indian Rain dance -- then all would be fine -- LOL

From the One man operation -- well some days it's more like  half .

0 Kudos
SouthWestOhio
Senior Contributor

Just 80 miles east of ECI we are in the same boat. Just in the nick of time rains have been the rule since April. Crop looks great. But the ditches are dry and there is no reserve left in the subsoil. We will need regular rain to stay on track for a bin buster.

Today's forecast suggests we get 1/2", keep your fingers crossed.
0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Hope you ECB boys get the rains your needing.  Us 1/2 crop Kansas boys started harvesting corn yesterday thru the swather.

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Thanks Shaggy ! Thats a real B i t c h you had to do tha - seen that done here last year . Never any fun to see .

I will give you a BIG atta boy for your effort - 1000 % try in my book .  Keep the faith Brother - Farm On .

Bins  - Rain fall amounts the last 3 hours Lafayette was 4 tenths - Kokomo 8 tenths west of Crawfordsville- 8 tenths !  Heading YOUR way -- good luck to you and RCR over in the Buckeye .

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Thanks for the pick me up ECIN.  I've just about to my wits end with all this no-till & 3 crop rotation sermon all the "EXPERTS" are preaching to us.  Not sure if I'll give corn a try again or throw in the towel and put the final 1/3 of my acres back into fallow.  I'm not here to make a living by retrieving an insurance check from failed crops every year, and it doesn't do the APH any justice either.Smiley Sad

0 Kudos