cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Re: 2011 SURE Pmts

I was told by my FSA office that since I didn't have a crop insurance claim that I wouldn't qualify for SURE payments.

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Have to have a "loss" to qualify for a SURE pmt. all based on crop insurance records.

I'm willing to risk having to pay it back (I know of three farmers that had to refund part of the 2008 SURE pmt after receiving and spending it.). I wasn't one of them. They said mine was triple checked before issue. Most do not have to repay, at least to this point in time.  Quite a give away.

SW; let me work on it a little bit, BTW; my wife has also "volunteered" to help with it.

I'm thinking you may have to meet me somewhere for dinner or supper to discuss it. I've got a few ideas on a location that may be mutually acceptable to both of us. (Neutral ground so to speak).

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

I agree Hobby, but what do they consider a loss?  I can sustain a loss and still not receive an insurance payment.

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Shaggy: you are asking ?'s above my pay grade.

Personally I thought that was what crop insurance was all about. Covering your loss. This SURE thing was supposed to "make you whole again", pick up some of the difference between the insurance and what a decent crop would have made. Kind of a double pay off thing in my opinion.  I believe it has a cost structure with the new and improved crop prices that was not forseen when it was implimented.

Now before someone has a come'a'part. I do not and have not made the rules of this game.

I have to live in the real world that some one else makes and changes the rules. As in any game I play to not loose. My opinion is why leave money on the table? Kind of nice getting a "tax refund" .

0 Kudos

You must be in a federal disaster county or a contigous county to qualify to even apply.
0 Kudos

Hobby - thanks for mentioning it yesterday.  I called the control county and put me on their list.  they have "just started" signing up those with crop losses for 2011. I doubt if my little operation is eligible for anything.  But the year before 2010, had a total loss on all acres and prevented planted all of them.  Did get a few bucks from SURE that year with

100% prevent plant.  

Then they called me and told me I might have to pay it back because I failed to provide an IRS consent form for a trust not required to file a tax return because it had no income.  I signed the form and faxed it.  That took care of the problem. You see I think USDA has a long way to go before I pay them a dime, they still owe me about $300,000 from the 80's.  Adios Amigo. John 

0 Kudos