Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mike NCIA
Veteran Contributor

2011 corn in NCIA

One of my fields of corn:

36,000 planted, 34,000 final

DK 5262 with Sabrex planted May 5

2pt Surestart, 1 pt generic Surpass preplant and .75oz Impact w/ atrazine (no Roundup at anytime)

3500 gal hog manure with 200#AMS

Headline/generic Folicur at brownsilk with generic Warrior

foliar with Impact and Headline

1.46 in. rain since July 12

0 Kudos
11 Replies
jrsiajdranch
Veteran Advisor

Re: 2011 corn in NCIA

Did you lose any crops in the wind on tuesday?

0 Kudos
Mike NCIA
Veteran Contributor

The wind damage started up by Mallard and to the east which is 12 miles North of me..we only got .3 of rain

0 Kudos
hardnox604008
Advisor

38 X 16 X 34K / 90,000 = 217.6.

It's just that easy.

Unfortunately for us in C IN the 16 is a 14 and the 38 is a 32. Still pretty healthy so maybe we'll do 90K/bushel but I doubt it.

Anyway, that gets 180, which I sincerely doubt we'll do. But it is amazing how these high pops add up.

0 Kudos
Mizzou_Tiger
Senior Advisor

i would say the math goes more like 32X16X33/95000

that gets you 177............and IMO thats probably an example of some of the best corn in IA..........it goes down hill from there

0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Veteran Advisor

NCIA is this considered good corn for you? Looks good to me. I see there is some tip back on these ears. Is that normal for that seeding population? I just got a Pioneer news letter in the mail a couple days ago that said if every ear is completely filled to the tip then seeding population isn't high enough? Im not sure I believe that completely but it does make some sense since the combine more than likely wont harvest those few kernels at the very tip anyway. Nice pics, thanks for sharing.

0 Kudos
67guy
Veteran Contributor

If the whole field looks like that it will make 200 easy.

0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Veteran Advisor

Mizzou really you need to get out and take a trip through Iowa..... Especially Eastern Iowa near Iowa City and tell me that corn looks bad. You are right, we will not have a bumper crop by any means but I doubt we are as bad off as you say. 

0 Kudos
Mizzou_Tiger
Senior Advisor

Black Sand..........

don't let the wool blind you..........

0 Kudos
Mike NCIA
Veteran Contributor

Tipback is above normal.  This picture is from 2 years ago and the field yielded 230 BPA.  The corn on the left is DK 5259 which is the triple stack of the field posted earlier

0 Kudos