cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SouthWestOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: 2012 Yield Monitor

With these prices I would call that a home run.
0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

One of my local BTO's has started combining corn ...three farms

farm 1,  17 bpa, 

farm 2,  50 bpa

farm 3,  best they had  115 bpa. all dry adjusted.

the head Fred of the operation said it just will get worse from here on out for them.

0 Kudos
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

Southwest of Decatur but north of St. Louis, IL:

This report provided by a buyer of corn.

"Certain areas we are finding some aflatoxin but have not had to reject a load yet….notice I said yet!  Seems to be showing on the later planted corn (After April 24th) and on the worst soil so far.

Yields are all over the board.  Will give general areas to helpout somewhat.  With all the bad yield reports I thought I would send a quick recap."

Franklin (7 miles SE of Jacksonville) field avgs of 150-190 most around 165
Ashland (15 miles west of Springfield) field avgs of 130-160…most around 150.
New Berlin (15 miles south of Ashland) 145-185, most around 160
Virginia,  110-150, most are around 125-130.

Beardstown, our farms yields
River Bottom Dryland
50 acres, sand on ¼ of it, made 107.  Expected 80 bpa
81 acres, made 136 bpa, expected 80
70 acres, best dryland soil we farm with 15 irrigated went 211 bpa.  Expected it to be 165
65 acres, next to Sangamon river, this farm is normally swampy with avg rainfall, made 192.  Expected 160

Irrigated
140 acres, 222 bpa, expected 200.  This field does not have dryland corners
180 acres, 229 bpa, expected 185 as this field has 22 acres that is not watered.

"Overall not a great crop compared to average but most (8 out of 10) are 15-20 bushels better than expected in our draw.  On North and West of IL River not much harvest is taking place yet."

Mike

0 Kudos
jec22
Veteran Advisor

So things never change.  With all the whining and complaining out of IL, and USDA saying their yields would be less than IA.  We get this yield report that is better than any coming out of IA.   Good thing we didn't change the ethanol mandate. 

0 Kudos
67guy
Veteran Contributor

I'm sure there hasn't been any whining and crying coming out of Iowa has there?  When its all said and done I'm thinking Iowa is going average considerably more than Illinois.

0 Kudos
ag678
Veteran Contributor

I think everybody probably gets a pass on yield guesses this year, but it is amazing to see what the best dirt will do with no help from mother nature.

0 Kudos
rightone
Senior Contributor

Re: 2012 Yield Monitor, jec22 just make the e mandate 100%

corn is kinda of a mute joke on truely feeding folks anyway.

0 Kudos
jec22
Veteran Advisor

67 guy,  us IA guys are covered.  No one remembers our whining, because we have NIA Farmer telling all every spring we have 300 bushel cornSmiley Happy

How is corn in your neck of IL?   Have heard of river bottoms in IA that won't do what that buyer reported for IL yields, but 120 is good for this year I suppose.

I don't think the price of corn is the problem for world food shortages.  Corn went down from 8 bucks in 2008 for along time and I didn't see prices drop in the grocery store.  40% of the food in the US is wasted(thrown away).  60% of the food in India meant for the poor never makes it to them because of corruption.  For all that corn gets blamed for, you would think that if you ate it you could walk on water.

0 Kudos
67guy
Veteran Contributor

You know I'm having very hard time getting a good handle on what yields will be in this area.  Just way too much variability within one field to put a yield figure on it and be confident.  It looks worse than 2005 but I blew the call in 2005 so don't read too much into that.  The state yield will be much worse than 05 because that was kind of a regional drought that left some parts of the state unscathed.  I'm pretty sure we are over 100 bushels per acre here but probably under 150.  Quite a range huh?  Best I can do right now.

0 Kudos
SouthWestOhio
Senior Contributor

67guy remind us what state you are in please.

0 Kudos