cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Re: 2012 Yield Monitor

NWMO: yes it is, and that was my assumption, no kernels.  

Yesterday and today are taking a toll on the corn test wt and the bean yields around here. Many beans are starting to "yellow".

Mid 90's and 20 to 30 mph breeze.

The pastures and hay ground may not be good next year after the "pounding" they are getting too.

0 Kudos
Pat in CMO
Senior Contributor

Have shelled corn that averaged 55bu and corn that averaged 27 bu fields right next to each other, only one day difference in RM 111 day vs 110 day planted April 4th and April 9th. Moisture ranged from 17%-14% test weight from 53.7-56.8.  Patrick

0 Kudos
iowafarm
Friend

I was on a combine in West Central IA - the yield was 80 bpa on prime corn ground.  In other years the land has produced 200 bpa.

Next 2 weeks I will be on combine in 7 more fields.

0 Kudos
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

iowafarm,

What was the test weight? And, any problems harvesting these small ears or shorter stalks?

Just curious,

Mike

0 Kudos
weedman
Veteran Contributor

North of I80 exit 57 corn planted 4/6/12 bean ground yielding 135 tw 56.5 18-20% ; very small kernals. If kernals were regular sized yield would be 50% higher. This will be our best corn.

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Corn plants still very green, 26,000+ to the acre. Got .98 inch of rain in last 30 hrs.

90 degree heat this coming week will put the hurry up on this corn. Expect good TW.

This corn pollinated after the 16th of July the week after we got back from the Iceland trip, in that 100+ degree heat but had an 1 1/2 of rain on the 14th of July.

It is on river bottom that gets up to 8 degrees cooler at night than hill ground.

East side of SW Iowa

Kind of intrested in seeing it get in the bin. Probably 4 weeks out yet.

0826121518.jpg

0826121539.jpg

0826121540.jpg

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Hobby, 

Looks like even the best of it is way below normal for your area.

what would length and circum. be on a normal year?

0 Kudos
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

Now this is a yield report! Thanks for posting the photos and information. Very interesting.

Mike

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Normally I do not get in a hurry to purchase seed and got bit this year. Had to change seed suppliers and "hope for the best" this spring. Most of the ears are almost chin high on me.

The corn looks great for the area and will be way above average, in this area as much is poor or in the case of a field about 8 farms down the same river that had no ears just a few nubbins and was baled and wrapped two weeks ago.

These ears came from the same exact area of the field that the planting in the dust series of picts are all from.

I am happy to this point with what I see out there. Kind of glad there were not any $5 sales made at planting time. due to how close I came to nubbins or nuttin.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

not many places will look that good, congrats  -- a rare spot

0 Kudos