cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

Re: 2012 Yield Monitor

cowtheif,

The markets have found price discovery for years, without you reporting your yields. I'm sure it will find a way to continue to do that, regardless of people reporting or not. I think farmers take this mentality sometimes that if we all don't say anything than maybe the trade will have to go blindly into the future not knowing what size this crop is. Give me a break. That's a joke. It's much like this mentality when people across this country say, if everybody stops buying gasoline on any given day, we can break the backs of the oil companies and the price of gas will fall. That's false. Good luck with that approach. Thanks for 'yields suck' report. Believe it or not, that's awfully telling too. Good luck this year and stay safe.

Mike

0 Kudos
RentTheFarm
Friend

Some big soybean yields in the Southern Red River Valley of ND/MN.  I spoke with a farmer today who finished his beans and they came in at 55 bpa (20 bpa above avg).  We'll need all the beans we can get!!

0 Kudos
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

Sure would like to see more yield reports posted. As I understand it, harvest is really rolling along now in the core Midwestern states. Here is what I learned over the weekend.

Nebraska:

I'm hearing the irrigated corn is yielding around 155 bushels per acre. And the non-irrigated is closer to 100 bu./acre.

Southwest Iowa:

Corn harvest is going fast. Corn will be done before beans are started to be cut. Without giving a yield average, one farmer says the yields are not very far below average.

Southcentral Iowa:

Corn harvested over the weekend yielded 120 bu./acre in one field. Otherwise, the yield was closer to 100 bu./acre in some other fields.

Mike

0 Kudos
Taylor ECIL
Senior Contributor

Harvested 38 acres on thurs. 2 years ago 170bpa corn. Last year 115 bpa corn (drought) this year 69.8 bpa corn. This is an 80 split in half Beans last 2 years 50 bu.

Livingston County IL

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Except for a couple pockets here and there, I predict you won't hear much in Nebraska of dryland fields doing the 100 Bu thing.

Myself, and my brother, both have enough corn to require us to pick it, probably in the 10-20 BPA range, going by ear count.

My neighbor, who pushes populations more than we do, has had 4 of 5 dryland fields called 'zero', and the 5th field is all bottomground. 

0 Kudos
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

RentTheFarm,

Thanks for reporting those yields. I think a lot of folks are wondering what kind of crop will come out of those Dakota states that received pretty good rains, this year.

Mike

0 Kudos
centralillinois
Veteran Contributor

North Livingston county.  Yields are running about 100-120 in the north and five miles south I'll be lucky to average 50.  15 miles west of me two cornfields averaged 192 and 174.  Unfortunately they are not my fields.  My ground is much lighter and had less rain.  Most of my aph is about 160 to 170.  It's very disheartening to combine 50 bushel corn.  Luckily I have enough 100 bushel corn to make me feel a little better. 

0 Kudos
WCMO
Senior Advisor

0 Kudos
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

WCMO,

A big thank you for those yield reports. That is a great cross-section of the kind of harvest season it has been.

Mike

0 Kudos
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

Here is a report that includes corn and soybean harvest yields. On Saturday, this central Iowa farmer recorded an average corn yield of 140 bu./acre. That is 30 bushels below average for the area.

Yield Monitor.jpg

In the corn cab.jpg

And this second farmer, in central Iowa, near Woodward area, cut soybeans Saturday. This area is about 10 bu,/acre better than Dallas Center, Iowa area.

In the bean cab.jpg

Cuttin beans.jpg

Photos by Eric Marzen

Mike

0 Kudos