cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rrfarms24
Contributor

2019 northwest Ohio

Is a complete disaster. Since mid April we have had 4 field working days and 3 were marginal at best. we did manage to get 400 acres of beans in from June 7th to the 10th and ive never planted into conditions so bad. Some are up and some are under water we had 3.6 inches in basically 36 hours over the weekend with saturated soils already so u can imagine how that went... a few guys tried to plant corn and looked like they might actually get away with it the stand was better than I had expected to see and a lot is now under water..I don’t know of anyone that got close to half of the corn in that they wanted to I just refused to slot corn in in the mud because it never ends well in our clay soils... we have a lot of ground in our neighborhood including some of our own ditched on 30ft centers and it has been covered with water multiple times... anyway just thought I would leave all of you with what I’m seeing here hope everyone else is better than here !! I’d guess 30% planted for my county at best and 20% is just trying to come outta the ground in mid June !!! 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
roarintiger1
Honored Advisor

Re: 2019 northwest Ohio

Yep. Nobody has seen anything like this around here.  I did manage to get 49% of my intended corn acres planted and 15% of my soybeans in here so far........definitely not in ideal conditions.   Still don't have very much of the spraying done yet.  Guys around here were desperate and were planting before that big rain on Saturday.  Lucky for us right here that we only got around .8 for the weekend.    

We have a front row seat for this train wreck that's happening right before our eyes.

Rick Bee
Frequent Contributor

Talked to a friend in Springfield, Ohio today. They have gotten 3-4 inches the last couple of days. He has a description that is more appropriate than train wreck. He said it is a shipwreck.

0 Kudos
rrfarms24
Contributor

Yea it’s bad and raining here as I type what would usually be a million dollar rain for June nice light shower..except this year about all the rain does is let the weeds grow another foot before we can even knock them down and think about a cover crop for the year..the weatherman says another inch and a half by Thursday night here and then sun Friday I’ll believe that when I see it... last Thursday it was 52 degrees and misty rain and got down to 45 at my place... hard to believe the difference a year makes last year we had shoulder high corn and knee high beans by now with everything sprayed and side dressed the gates were closed this year over half of our acres haven’t been touched yet 🤬🤦‍♂️

0 Kudos