cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

2021 winners & losers

After a cursory look back at 2021 every ag commodity was a winner.   https://finviz.com/futures.ashx?a=128563647    Corn, beans, wheat, oats, fat & feeder cattle, lean hogs, goats, sheep everything higher than when we started 2021, how we got here and if it`s good long term is debatable. 

Oats is more than double of where they started `21 they win most improved commodity.    Beans win most surprising athlete in not succumbing to the bearish predictions.    Corn was really "Charlie Hustle" last year.  

I would have to say smart farmers raise goats and oats.  Oats don`t need the fertility of the row crops and goats at a salebarn any old inbred goat will bring $200-$300 fattened on a diet of tree bark & beer cans.   🙂  

Don`t count on 2022 being as good as last year  and be sure to go straight home   🙂

5 Replies
rsbs
Veteran Advisor

Re: 2021 winners & losers

my wife wants us to have a herd of goats. Maybe she is on to something.

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

The big thing is have the fence to keep them in is the main thing and put out mineral blocks.  But a nanny will save 2 kids and graze `em in a grove, feed hay a little grain in the winter.  Maybe have $50 in feed in the kid and sell em for $200-$300 in the salebarn.  Cattle and hogs have no where near that ROI. 

0 Kudos
rsbs
Veteran Advisor

will goats eat old hay? I have many tons of old hay.

0 Kudos
RJG640v8
Advisor

the two I have won't ...  fussiest darn things, eat the leaf and leave the stems, clean out their feed bunk every week. Maybe it's too good of hay ???   Daughter had to have them , got them when she was an eighth grader......  in two months she takes the big test to become a DVM, they seem to live a long darn time...

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

The big thing is goats have trouble with moldy hay.   From what I heard from those who have goats these days, worms are a fatal issue for them and they recommend mixing your heard with the Kiko breed of goat who sheds worms naturally.  But I recall last goats I had were sold in the 80`s at the Geneva Mn salebarn and they brought $30-$40hd and i`ve never looked back  🙂  

Now, goats bring 10 X that price.  As the Critical drinker would say "for reasons". 

BADeere_0-1641654687713.jpeg

0 Kudos