cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

29° morning prediction

Most beans could use a frost, however there are a few fields of  green beans out there.  Some a saying a frost could still take 5 bushel off certain later planted corn fields. 

A poll on Twitter:

This might be a "Ray question"    If your truck is sitting overnight loaded with beans and they pick up 1% moisture, does your truck weigh more? 

https://twitter.com/Ben_C_Pederson/status/1574574762369912832  

5 Replies
Blacksandfarmer
Senior Advisor

Re: 29° morning prediction

It seems like the cold north west winds are blowing a little early this year. We have had lake effect rain over the past couple days here. It's turned into a mud mess trying to get seed corn out of the fields. It's a race against a freeze when it comes to seed corn because a freeze can damage the germ. 

Not far from me a farmer had a large field of irrigated wheat. After the wheat was cut they planted beans. Those beans look really nice, but they are green as grass so a frost wouldn't be good for some. I chose not to double crop after wheat on my hobby farm and instead used the summer to get chicken litter applied and do a short no tillage fallow. I have this feeling the drought area that was/is in Kansas that has spread into parts of Iowa just might be headed my direction, so I would like to keep as much moisture as possible for next year beans.

k-289
Esteemed Advisor

Always  find  it  interesting  ,  the  germination  of  volunteer  corn ,   in  next  years  bean  fields  = = = 

rsbs
Senior Advisor

BA, 28 degrees at our new place this morning. Brrrr. One thing nice is that it is insulated so much you hardly need to run the furnace or the AC. Still a lot of work to be done, but at least we got in before the winter sets in.

Bruce, just look for the huge Jensen sign, and "Heal Minnesota". The old furniture is at the former place in a big pile awaiting our yearly furniture bonfire, too. The one where we dance around the ashes and sing "what a friend we have in ethanol and soydiesel. "

Old habits are hard to break. I can't wait to burn a few hundred dollar bills again at the Vernon Center municipal liquor store bar and say "this is what money means to me" .  

Sorry, I should lay off. Blessed are they that can take a joke and keep on ticking. I am so tight I still have the first nickel I ever made somewhere in a locked box.

0 Kudos
lsc76cat
Senior Advisor

About 6:45 this am = temps varied from 31 down to 26 this morning, hilltop vs lowest ground.

Plenty of fog around, sunrise @ 7:09.  Frost should help alleviate the problem we had last year.

Combined growled - didn't like the green stems.  Moisture checked 11 to 11.5.

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

frost damage is now obvious on many bean fields around here this afternoon.

Nailed the neighbors pumpkin patch.

0 Kudos