cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

3 Things to Watch This Morning: Thursday, 11/20

Mornin', everybody! So, who's getting out and picking those last few rows of corn today? Wrapping it up before this rain hits (here anyway) this weekend? 

Looks like the grains are flirting with the plus side today...think it'll continue? We'll keep an eye on 'em today for you. How's everybody's cash basis around you these days? Anything worthy of a sale? 

Hey, here are today's "Big 3." What else is on your radar this morning? 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: 3 Things to Watch This Morning: Thursday, 11/20

**bleep** Jeff have you lost your mind?  I mean look at these commodity prices and you've still got the nerve to ask me about my cash basis?  It's tight, real tight I tell ya.  Smiley Very Happy

wheat -$0.40

corn -$0.13

soy -$0.94

Looks like my locals are trying to gather up their christmas bonus's from the very hands that feed them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

Haven't even started my corn harvest yet, just finished beans last weekend then we got 18 inches of snow and wind. Did a hand shell sample on Sunday it was 21-22%.

If it keeps snowing I guess it can sit out there all winter. At least then I won't have much into drying it.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

You northern farmers who constantly have to battle mother nature to get your crops off must have nerves of steel.

Good luck to you wcmifarmer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Yikes, Shaggster! Ha! Any scuttlebutt that they'll tighten up anytime soon? All the feeders around there already have their feed for the winter? I know the feedlot up at Hoxie got their pile early this fall. Haven't checked, but I'm sure basis is about the same there. 

How's your wheat doing?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

Thanks Shaggy,

I don't know about nerves of steel, but my wife tells me I drink too much. Lol.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

With no corn at under 30%, I have not started yet, in Northeast Wis.  We are in an area with large corn use, so basis is only -15.  I think I do drink enough, with 50 acres on the great cooler Lake Mich.  No heat from cool breezes off  40 degrees water.  So, I quess i need to get back to oats, which can pay the rent, maybe. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

I hear ya farmer46

Most of my farms are within 7-10 miles of lake Michigan. We had a cool summer here as well. I did plant some oats last spring and they went 70 bu. Local coop was paying 3.50 in august when I sold them. Think I'll make more on them than my corn.
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Most feeders around my area also own large farming operations and raise thier own feed and grain.  From what I can tell by driving by is most bunkers are full or very near full.

Most wheat in this area looks the best it has at this point going back about 4 or 5 years.  The wheat that was planted during the normal planting window is probably as big if not bigger than the 2014 crop was in April.  As long as we can get average winter and spring moisture the wheat has potential since we've had the best fall conditions that we've had for several years.  That being said, we sure could use a little moisture right now as the top is getting dry.

0 Kudos