cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jogajr64
Frequent Contributor

Re: 30 to 50 thousand acres to go un-farmed?

Went By Decatur Shop today Had about 10-12 Quad Tracks setting there doing nothing. There were a lot of cars and trucks setting in the parking lot. Looks like they are working some of the fields. I think they had equipment out working today. Maybe they don't have enough drivers for all the equipment. I don't know if they have enough tractors for all the equipment. They have a lot of land to do.

0 Kudos
hardwayfarmer
Veteran Contributor

As of last Sunday, 3 farms along M 152 and M 51 had been planted, 2 to corn and 1 to beans, judging by the row widths.  All irrigated.  I don't know who planted them.  One irrigated farm had not been touched along M 152 and two dry land fields west of Decatur hadn't been touched.  The cover crop in two fields that had wheat last year had been sprayed.  Two sprayers went by here last week.  I saw a sprayer belonging to another farmer coming from a dry land farm south west of here.  That's the one owned by the Chicago investor.  Guess he decided half a loaf was better than nothing.  At last report at least two planters were still impounded at the Sodus store, and some at the Howe, IN store.  The beginning of this month the feed mill manager told me one of the big hog farmers rented his ground to BTO last year and hadn't been paid yet.  BTO put corn in two of the hog farmer's bins, and they are locked up tight and  access barricaded.  I don't know how that will work out.  I'd be leery of feeding it, in case there are other liens on it as well.

0 Kudos
jogajr64
Frequent Contributor

Up here by me I see per the plat book that some of the Stamp land that the BTO got is now in the name of the Big Indiana investor. Also nothing has been worked yet. I don't even see pickups going by. It doesn't look like anything is being checked. The big question is what land is going to be planted. There is a lot of good ground growing grass.

0 Kudos
timetippingpt
Honored Advisor

I would guess that after this rain event, the joke is not on the BTO. He will get to Prevent Plant everything, pay the rent, and now has 12 months to figure it out. If grain prices improve, financing will not be a problem. As the good book says, it rains on the just and the unjust...depending upon your perspective. 🙂

0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Senior Advisor

Time, most of the land in our area is getting planted, I would estimate that 90% of the corn is in the ground and 60% of the beans have been planted. The BTO is running on limited cash, equipment and employees. Some landlords got paid last year and some didn't. Some of this guys equipment is repoed and some isn't. What a mess. 

0 Kudos
jogajr64
Frequent Contributor

Does anyone know if he is planting the land that belongs to the large investment corp out of Indiana.. I am not seeing anything being done in the N.W. part of Van Buren County.

0 Kudos
timetippingpt
Honored Advisor

I get that BlackSandy, just pointing out that he is to big to fail basically, and the insurance will bail him out long enough to get a price bump which drastically changes his outlook, making it to close to force him out. Two points to remember, banks only punish those that don't cause them much pain to punish (ie no big writedown) and all he has to do is cover variable costs to cash flow, which is likely possible close to these price levels. The lenders will waive principal payments in a heartbeat if they can project a better outcome 12 months from now. 

jmo from the distance and knowing nothing of the situation.

0 Kudos
WCMO
Senior Advisor

Not saying that PP payment couldn't happen, however, PP claims are still supposed to be based on INSURABLE CAUSES, which would not include financial difficulties and related factors.  Just sayin.  If this outfit racks up a bunch of PP acres, and other operations aren't having the same problems in the same areas, then somebody higher up oughta be takin a look at it.

0 Kudos
jogajr64
Frequent Contributor

There has been probably a few thousand acres worked around me. The BTO land hasn't been touched. The land that I am referring too is the land owned by the big investment group out of Indiana. That leases to him.  They have a very large amount of acres.Indiana Farms - Ceres Partners.  Click on this.

0 Kudos
jogajr64
Frequent Contributor

I still see nothing being done. Anyone seeing action in their fields?

0 Kudos