cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

34.2 F

Didn't know it was going to get so cool.

Looks frosty down on the bottoms, and on the metal roof of the cattle trailer. Frost on the yard too.

28 would be nice down there and get the yellow out of the bean stems and kill off those rouge green no pods on them beans that are mixed in with all the beans that are almost ready. It can easily be 5 degrees colder down there than here on the hill.

Our average frost date is Oct 11th... It is late this year.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: 34.2 F

This has to be bearish news doesn't it?       Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

What causes those green stem no pod plants. I had a lot this year. They are usually bad were the deer damage is the worst.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Not cool here this am low last night was 14C.

What is considered safe frost date here is around September 20.

We had a couple nights in September, the first being the 14th, that we went down to +2C and we had just a hint of frost.

Not enough to damage anything more than the odd pumpkin leaf and everything is still growing well now 20 some days after frost safe date.

I know of some soys planted late on low ground and they were still showing yellow/green last week when I drove by.

Did not have problem with yellow or green beans so they all combined easy and most beans in this area are now harvested with people planning on corn harvest this week for high moisture corn in the 28 - 30% moisture area.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Wish we could get a killing frost in Central Kansas. I ran out of dry milo to cut just as everyone else has. 160 acres to go but no choice but to set still. What's the old adage "Hurry up and wait"?
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Shaggy,

Just curious, what's your personal cut off preference for moisture on milo? I normally won't cut until it's in the 14's unless we get late into October. Local elevator here won't take anything over 16. Do you haul to the local coop or do you have somewhere else to go? I am just east of you about an hour. All the wheat is in the ground and beas are cut. Just waiting for my milo to dry down. Was 16.8 on Thursday. Decided to not try it again this weekend and try again this week, weather permitting. An inch or rain wouldn't slow us down here much anyway. Hope the forecast is right and we get a decent soaker.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Almost identical to you KSU. I don't like to give any to the elevator if I can avoid it, but we are getting to the time of year that if is dry enough that the coop will accept it, I might consider taking a little dockage. We are the same, they won't unload anything above 16.0. I cut 1/3 of my acres last week at 13% moisture and 61#-62# test weight. It was white milo that was planted about 2 weeks before my final 2/3 acres. I test cut one field yesterday evening at 17.3% so I will be parked for a few days as well. Very few people are able to harvest around here, I might be one of the few that was able to run a few acres, but I was also one of the few that planted a few acres in May, most started the first week of June. Wheat for the most part is in the ground with the exception of just a few producers, but I'm sure they will get wrapped up this week weather permitting.

How is your milo crop looking, is your area having a lodging issue? We are hit and miss around here. I only had one field that was a big issue but it was the first one I harvested in an attempt to save all I could. I know I left 20-25 BPA in the field, but it still yielded in the mid 70's. Not great, but compared to last year I will take it. Everything else has been 100+BPA. Good luck on getting going, and I also agree, an inch of rain would be welcomed. Are you somewhere around the Saline County area?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

buckfarmer, around here green stem no pods = groundhogs moved into the field and ate the pods off the plant. Must mess up the maturity of the soybean; the poor thing is probably still trying to fufill its purpose and life and grow a few pods. Maybe your deer are mostly just snacking on the pods?

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

I am in the southern Ellsworth County area. Not sure what yields we are going to have but would guess around the 100 bushels mark as well. I planted around the June 12-13 time frame. Guys who planted a week later have better milo this year. It's not ready but filled better and without the early frost will end up being 10-20 bu/ac better I'm guessing. Getting a shower here right now. Hopefully more to come for both of us. We'll have to talk more. I wanted to ask you about your marketing strategy. I believe you said in the past that you do a combination of puts and cash sales mostly. I usually do as well but was short on any early cash sales this year with the milo and now it's not looking so hot. Got in kinda late on the put side as well. Had some 5.00 Dec puts but wish I would have thrown some cash sales in there too about two months ago. Good luck getting the rest of your milo in.

0 Kudos