cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

34.8°

little bit ago At my place on the hill. Always colder on the bottoms. 3 fields of beans were up, should know later in the day.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: 34.8°

Hobby, we had 36°, didn`t see any freezes or ice crystals, tonight it`s forecast to 38°.   The neighbor owns a grove for hunting and last fall he did some grass burning, I thought he had it under control.  Instead it smoldered all winter and this spring there was a peat ground fire.  He doesn`t live around here, probably hasn`t been around since bow season.  Well, it started growing, it was getting close to my side of the fence, so I had 1,000 gallon of Furious MTZ resinate in the tank and hopefully put it out.  I`d hate to think if it kept going and we have a dry fall in the cornfield, it could burn up the crop and soil both!   If the ashes can grow anything, it`ll only be beans for the next 20 years 😀 Some people can`t be trusted with matches.

BADeere_0-1653261839369.jpeg

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

This morning was colder than last about 33° with a 31° dewpoint.  I think the low ground dodged a bullet, though I saw some Iron weeds with frost crystals, none observed on the beans yet, sometimes 7am is what TKO`s you.   I`ve often noticed that second morning of a cold snap is what gets you, seems no matter what they predict, the 2nd morning is cooler. Here`s some thigh high alfalfa, no crystals yet, not worried about it, but if that had frost signs, the beans would be boned.  

BADeere_0-1653303611144.jpeg

0 Kudos
rayjenkins
Veteran Advisor

BA, I agree about the second day of a cold snap event being colder

we used to have a windmill which served as the junction for several water lines,  and that was always the case 

take care up there in the cold zone!

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Hey Ray, good to see you`re staying out of trouble  😀   I miss Mark Pearson and Bob Quinn on WHO calling "Ray J at Eddyville"   You`d say you were so busy you were cutting off trucks at noon  🙂

0 Kudos
rayjenkins
Veteran Advisor

and they are expanding usage of a new product line that will consume an additional 10 million bushels per year

that will push total usage above 100 million

so they can stay open until 1pm instead of noon!!

I need a mushroom/swiss burger from Vinje

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

BA --- a question from a total idiot on this subject............

I would thing the soil moisture level would be too high to allow a fire growth like that most of the time.  Is that a sign of dry conditions?   I ve heard of it just no experience with it.

Would a "timely" peat fire improve soil productivity?

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Hey SW, it was a very dry fall, if you`re going to get by burning grass on peat ground it should be done on moist soil and in manageable sized areas.  If the fire moves quickly, it won`t be a problem, what happened in this guy`s case there was a small dip and the fire stopped long enough to catch the peat.   That peat ground is probably 10 feet plus deep, I know the drainage ditches are peat below the water level. 

I was telling an area guy about this and he said in the old days a guy was fighting a peat fire, stepped in the ashes sank down and burned to death. I`m keeping an eye on it, many times it has to be dug out from under it to stop, hope it was caught in time and that won`t be the case.

No, it won`t improve the fertility, it literally burns away the top soil, peat is like fluffy coal.