cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

5-12 Weather Update

Good Morning!  Nice and green here in Cannon Falls this morning, 1 3/4 inch here in the rain gauge.  No real changes in the 6-10 or 8-14 day forecast from yesterday.

The Jet Stream this morning looks like this:

10 Day forecast of 300 mb winds and heights from the GFS model

It takes the next 5 days to exit the midwest, and is replaced with this 10 days from now:

10 Day forecast of 300 mb winds and heights from the GFS model

Just a continuous loop of low pressure systems in Canada dropping the Jet Stream - and cold air - deep into the US.  This will back off the heat in the plains that was showing up in the forecasts a few days ago, but also in the rest of the US.  The next ten days, pretty much the same story as this:

10 Day forecast of surface pressure and precipitation amounts from the GFS model

This is Wednesdays forecast map, and builds in a large High in the Central US.   Once our current system finally moves out today, over the next 9 days, we will have some small disturbances moving along the Jet Stream as it moves, but it looks like a quiet period to get the final (or maybe start) planting(s) done.  Some areas picked up some nice welcome rain like we did here in Cannon Falls, but I'm sure 10 miles (or less) away from here in the heavier soils, this rain was not welcome.  After the frog strangler left here last night, it went over to where they certainly didn't need it - Central WI.  And unfortunately, they are going to probably have to endure one more day of additional rainfall.  Not that it matters much anymore, the ground is so saturated there now that any addtional will just run off anyway.  That's it for this morning.  And remember - rain makes grain.....

Jen

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: 5-12 Weather Update

Jen , that planting window that you opened up a few days ago slammed shut last nite...over an inch....and still more coming !!

Prevent plant becoming bigger possibility every day......John

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

1 and 3/4 ?? LMAO , Jen --  That is just a dew for us , Light rian yesterday and last night = 2.5 inchs , problably be back in the fields tomorrow  

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Morning John - I know.  One step forward and three steps back.  I was over to Central WI as you know a few days ago - I know how bad of a situation it is - again.  And we have areas here that are the same, and many in the same areas as last year.  ECIN posting that after 2.5 inches, they'd be back in the fields tomorrow.  I know that in your case, that won't be the story.  Hopefully, you don't pick up too much more so the drying off can begin.  Hang in there, John.  The sun will probably shine tomorrow.

Jen

0 Kudos
Advisor

Do those cool colored  maps look better if you take some LSD?

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Hey I'm a poor ole wheat and milo farmer that fills party balloons for a living, tell me what I am after. What does all this mean for Central Kansas?

I'm sure all the maps are in color, but my pre 1980's tablet only has a monochrome display. HA HA
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

It means you're in deep Scooby Do-do.
0 Kudos
Advisor

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Like I said Shaggy - the rain shuts off. There is nothing else "wet" in the weather maps that I look at. But it's weather - it's always subject to change.

Jen
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Jen...just found out at the coffee shop that I was in the "good location " !  Any where from 1 1/2 to over 2" just  north and east of here. That sure makes me feel better !!!!!!!!!!!

John

0 Kudos