cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

56%

Of the beans in the USA are NOT planted.

June one is almost here and rain and mud til after that will most surely = a above chance of a short bean harvest.

As a side note that is almost my exact % I am planted on the bean side.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
c-x-1
Veteran Advisor

Re: 56%

Hobby,

can you confirm what i'm starting to hear about the newly emerged corn in waterlogged areas being yellow and tough? @ the end of the season Corn might be the bigger story?

what does "tough" mean to you?----are they dying, going temporarily dormant?

thanks,

c-x-1

0 Kudos
arnfarm735
Senior Contributor

Every year the corn is yellow and looking tough when it is cool and wet.

The difference is, it is usually the end of April, not the end of May............

c-x-1
Veteran Advisor

thanks arnfarm735,

what agronomic difference does end of May imply?

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Very little recovery time
0 Kudos
c-x-1
Veteran Advisor

thanks sw,

drrrrrrrr----simplist, most obvious answer is usually the right one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Cx-1,

Vrbuck mad a great statement on one of the other threads about it also concerning time getting short.  Above I-70 they are getting late enough that enough heat units to make a crop before frost will have to be very hot or many hot days crammed together which is not good for polination.  A cool august is good for yield but it won't finish before frost damage.

Here we have a longer growing season so we will finish but we are way behind.  The feeders are not going to get the august corn they expect.  Unless we keep having 4 days of high winds every week without rain.

"extreme weather gets fixed by extreme weather"

0 Kudos