cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

6 - 26 Weather Update

Good Morning!  It's the last day for our rent-a-kids, and we head them back to Mom and Dad today or tomorrow.   Has that month gone fast.  It seems like just yesterday we were packing to go on the trip with them.

Let's take a look this morning at the rain totals over the last 7 days:

Most everybody got something.  This is the monthly totals:

US: Monthly Rainfall Estimate

Rain makes grain.  Our current Jet stream:

10 Day forecast of 300 mb winds and heights from the GFS model

The Jet once again will come into play across the Northern US as it becomes more active and drops South of the border.  At the same time, the Gulf remains open.  This is 3 days from now:

10 Day forecast of 1000 mb (near-surface) temperature and wind from the GFS model

And, yes, we still have all the same forces in play.  After today, our chances for rainfall again increase across the corn belt.  This is Tomorrows map:

10 Day forecast of surface pressure and precipitation amounts from the GFS model

With the Jet Stream in play, and open Gulf, and several Low Pressure systems (in this map fairly weak, but they grow in intensity) from again the Panhandles North to the border.  This system sticks around longer than it's welcome though, and turns into this by next Monday:

10 Day forecast of surface pressure and precipitation amounts from the GFS model

Well organized now, the Northern Tier looks to get a lot of rain out of this system.  And, one more interesting note this morning.  This is 10 days from now:

Finally, a system strong enough to push the High in the Pacific out of the way, and is making it's way onto the West Coast.  Most of these systems have not survived the battle with that High in the Pacific, and have died as soon as they hit land.  We'll have to watch this one, and see if it can continue inland.

Temperature remain moderate in the forecasts - nothing threatening there.  Shaggy - how you coming on getting the rest of your work done?

Jen

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: 6 - 26 Weather Update

Well Jen "Not to Good". All crops are in the ground, and that is where 50% of the problem lies. Let me explain, wheat is ready to get harvested, but Mother Nature has different ideas. 2" last Sunday and an additional .70" this morning. The rain is great for the spring seeded crops, but what little wheat there is left is deteriorating more and more each day. I'm afraid some fields just won't be harvestable now do to weeds over taking them. I guess this just adds insult to injury. I mean we were below 50% normal to begin with and now we can't even get that. I'll try to post a few pics later today.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Just shaken my head here Shaggy - First you say -- OH its so dry here , then your buddy from Old Indiana do's a rain dance for you out in New Indiana and this is what I hear ??? OH it's to wet , can't get anything done = doom and gloom !  I would even bet that you go down to the co-op for coffee in the morning and you all sit there and think - that dam rain - but don't say anything - just sit there and look at each other - lmao !!!!!

Well Shaggy - one things for sure - Your a true farmer ! Never happy about the weather !

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Well I'm not sure what to say, it's almost like that was a comment that was rehearsed by ECIN.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Well Shag - you have to remember - this old man has been threw these problems before - lol   No matter what state you live in - we all fight the same battles some times

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Jen, the drought is broken here  with 4.25" of rain in a 2-1/2 hour spand.  They where slow moving storms with heavy rain.  That was our biggest rain event in a day for years.  The five foot tall corn is hiding the ponds. All tiles are now flowing full blast.  Crops do look good.  West of Des Moines.

This weekend the weather folk are calling for heavy rain then a little cool down. What do you think?

PS I do enjoy reading about your trips.  Early Nov. or children and their spouses, plan to take us to the south rim of the Grand Canyon.  They plan to hike down we will not.  I would also like to see the Hoover Dam.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Wind, it's going to be a wet 4-5 day event for you guys in IA. And, very heavy rain all the way through next Tuesday is possible. Then a few days of drying and back to wet possibly by next weekend. I need to do some more looking at the temps, to see where the Low in Canada is going to go, and what kind of air mass it's going to tap into when it exits to the NE. I'll try and mention more about it tomorrow. I'm not sure how much time I'll have in the morning, as we're going to be heading up to Detroit Lakes. But I'll see what I can do.

Jen
0 Kudos