cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

7 - 9 Weather Update

Still not many changes from what I spoke about last.  We still have the same set up for weather across the US, and keeping most of us in the Midwest a bit cooler than normal.

This set up for next week Wednesday:

10 Day forecast of surface pressure and precipitation amounts from the GFS model

is pretty typical of what's been happening and what is being forecast.  This setup later this fall is still troublesome for late planted crops, or those being delayed in maturity by the cooler temps this summer.  In  this particular case, the air is being piped into the Northern US by the Low over Hudson Bay and the High to the West of that.  The air mass isn't quite as cold as it could have been - if the Low/High setup were a bit farther West, as then we would be pulling air from the Arctic.  Temps next week over MN and WI will be the coldest, and I suppose we could actually see some freezing - yes freezing - temps over far Northern MN and the cranberry bogs in WI.  Here's what the temps for that period look like:

10 Day forecast of 1000 mb (near-surface) temperature and wind from the GFS model

By the way, on the last little cold snap a couplde of weeks ago, it did get below freezing in a few spots in Central and Northern WI.  This could be a replay of that.  For the rest of the country - same old, same old, with only light showers for most of the country for the next 10 days.

Jen

0 Kudos
2 Replies
cyclonegrain
Veteran Contributor

Re: 7 - 9 Weather Update

Accuweather shows the lowest night temp for the next 3 weeks at International Falls MN at 48 degrees.  That shouldn't hurt their bumper crop!!!! LOL  There are some pretty tough looking spots in MN (mainly around Hutchinson), but overall MN will make and likely exceed forecasted trend line.  SW MN, East half of SD is gonna be large. 

0 Kudos
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

Re: 7 - 9 Weather Update

It gets colder in WI than Northern MN in the summertime because of the influence of air over the cold water of Lake Superior. My former neighbor from Central WI said that a buoy in one of the lakes was still reporting a water temp of 39 degrees. And it's not uncommon for the cranberry bogs of Central WI to have temps 10 - 15 degrees colder than the surrounding counties.

There were a few places here in MN that did get up to 90 degrees a few days ago. KMSP only managed 89, so officially, Minneapolis still has not recorded a 90 degree day. And none in the forecasts right now. But it is a B-E-A-T-I-F-U-L day here in Cannon Falls. We took the Dachshunds out for a walk this morning, and I'm planning to do battle with the skeets and pick some more blackberries - we ended up with 2 quarts a couple of days ago.

The corn here is fabulous, probably some of the best I've ever seen. The beans - not so much. The beans just look like they are really developing slowly. I need to get out in a couple of fields and see what's actually going on out there.

Jen
0 Kudos