cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

7 day forecast, with your "weekend".

It`s gonna git cooler but at least they took rain and snow out.  Dunno what`s after the 7 day or maybe I don`t wanna know, but we`ll take this.  Was down in the Waterloo Grundy Center area yesterday and the garden spots are having troubles 73 degrees down there tornado warnings in Linn and Iowa counties.  The way the rain was coming down wouldn`t be surprised if the Wapsy is covering highway 3 in places today.  A lot of beans to go and corn too.

This from KAAL tv ...give us more of this Cindy!

Wednesday
Hi: 63° | Lo: 40°
Wind: S at 15mph
Today: Cloudy with fog and drizzle. Temps in the lower 60s early, then near 56 by 3 pm. 42 by 9 pm. Winds pick up and become strong after 4 pm. Tonight: Cloudy and windy. Gusts to 40 mph.
Cloudy and windy
Thursday
Hi: 41° | Lo: 32°
Wind: W at 20mph
Mostly cloudy and windy. Gusts to 35 mph. Winds begin to relax after 3 pm.
Morning clouds followed by afternoon sun
Friday
Hi: 44° | Lo: 27°
Wind: S at 10mph
Partly cloudy.
Mostly cloudy
Saturday
Hi: 50° | Lo: 35°
Wind: W at 14mph
Partly cloudy.
Mix of sun and clouds
Sunday
Hi: 41° | Lo: 34°
Wind: NW at 13mph
Partly cloudy.
Mix of sun and clouds
Monday
Hi: 47° | Lo: 30°
Wind: W at 14mph
Mostly sunny.
Chance of afternoon showers
Tuesday
Hi: 51° | Lo: 32°
Wind: WSW at 13mph
Partly cloudy.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: 7 day forecast, with your "weekend".

Freeze tonight's...rain chances atleast next 5
Days..minium 6 inches rain so far

Things looking pretty down here
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

NOAA forecasting excellent weather for harvesting during the next 2 weeks, so get your machines ready.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

That's probably true somewhere.  I like how so many non-farmers think that if it isn't raining, then we can be in the fields.  With significant rains here over past several days, the ground is not in condition to travel, the crops have obviously taken on moisture.  Corn takes on moisture more slowly than beans, and also dries more slowly.  But as for ground conditions, it is easier  to mud out corn than soybeans.  Mudding out anything causes damage that will require additional time and cost to repair at some point.  At least here, nice today and tomorrow, but no harvesting.  80% chance of rain Friday.  50-100% chance of rain Sunday, depending on which forecast one looks at.  Likely no harvesting progress in this area for minimum of 1 week, more likely 2 at this point.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

We non-farmers took note that national corn harvesting increased from 26 to 34% last week in spite of horrific weather, and the harvest remains significantly ahead of last year and the five year average, Risk managers I speak with in every corn growing State are saying that by the weekend the corn harvest will be back in swing in most States. The weather forecasts for the second half of October looks very favorable, and we know that farmers have a vested interest in getting the crop in.

One large trading firm I spoke with this morning told me that unless the corn harvest is less than 50% when we get to November, they are not at all concerned about weather affecting the price movements in the market. My sense is this is a commonly held feeling among most traders. which explains why prices stalled for the last week after rising significantly the week before.

Bottom line is that all of the near term trends are starting to turn in favor of getting the crop to market. And in this business, the trend is your friend.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Yep, it's obviously that time of year.

Yep, farmers obviously have a vested interest in getting the crops out of the field.

Yep, I'll be somewhat worried if I still had 50% or more of any crop in the field come November.

Yep, made great progress in harvesting before the rains.

Yep, looking forward to better harvest weather, again.

Other factors --

Don't really want to rut up my fields.

Concentrated on corn (all out), due to August wind and hail damage that put a lot of it on the ground.

Harvesting beans is more challenging when the ground is wet.

When it's cool and humid, everything dries out more slowly.

Being in a drought area, still grateful for the rain, actually got some run-off to put some water in ponds.

There's nearly always some great harvest weather in November.

And, at least around here, none of the elevators have had to shut down due to being full.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Probably the most reasoned analysis from the front lines I've heard round here in the last two weeks, thank you for your insights. I am especially grateful that you mentioned that you are concentrated on your corn crop, its a point I have been making for the last week that the terrible rain during that time will force a triage like operation for the next few weeks where the crops that held up better will be brought to market first.

From the financial side of the business, even though prices are a bit weaker today as speculators square up some positions and take some profits before the USDA report tomorrow, its happening on very weak volume and so not very indicative of things to come. There's a lot of money on the sidelines waiting to enter the market, and while the risks are tilted decidedly towards lower prices in the next few weeks, we just as well could see a buying extreme to the upside before the longer term trend again asserts itself. 

I am watching two levels in the December corn futures to the downside especially closely : the $3.52-$3.55 area and then $3.29 below. To the upside, the $3.74 to $3.790 area will be a challenge to get through, and above that there will be a wall of offers in the mid-$3.90s.

Thursday will be an interesting day. As the downside still presents more opportunity than the upside, it still makes sense to hedge some expected production in the $3.60s. 

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

cheapo, Is the wheat in your area all planted?  We still have about 2000 acres to put in.. I get the idea that there is still a lot not planted locally.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I think your ok if you can get the ground planted fairly quickly.

We got the dry land in ---half up---slightly blown and dried out    then rain.....  Not a comfortable feeling.

0 Kudos