cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

8 - 14 Late Weather Update

Hi all.  I'm beat.  In addiition to the odd hours this week, I have had to do an additional 8 hours of individual training.

We graduated a class today.  5 of the 18 failed.  Better than what has been happening.  One of the students that I really liked failed today.  That was hard.  Two of the female stucents failed.  One never really got a handle on what had to be done, the othe one should have passed, and would have if she had made 1 less error.  That's hard.  The student that I worked the most with passed, and I was really happy for that.  The military guys that I sat down and had a little talk with both passed, and thanked me for helping them make it through this.   It's an emotional day, trying to comfort those that didn't pass, and then feeling the joy of those that did.  

Anyway, Broke Farmer from AZ wanted to know what next weekend was going to like down there.  I think for you, it should be mainly dry.  If it rains, the way it looks now, is just light showers.  It looks like a go with the haying for the next 9 days anyway.

For those of us in the Midwest, it looks to be a week to 10 days with on and off showers.  The Jet Stream which was forecast to be over the Midwest the next 6 days or so, has decided instead to retreat back into Canada.  The rainfall that looked like was going to give most of the Midwest a good drink, is back to only 40% or so of the Midwest getting more than 1/2 inch over the next 5-6 days, with multiple chances for rain events, but none of them real heavy with broad coverage.  Our next best shot occurs here:

10 Day forecast of surface pressure and precipitation amounts from the GFS model

Next Sunday with a fairly intense Low over Hudson Bay, with a trailing cold front all the way to New Mexico.  This one, again, could bring significant rainfall, but we've seen these evaporate over time all summer long.  In the last 7 days, rainfall has been lighter than what we have seen:

especially over IA and North and South Dakota.  With this next system not living up to expectations, it's going to be getting really dry in a fair number of areas.  I'm hearing that SE MN now is really dry.  Not surprising.  I'm sure some IA fields are also feeling the effects of a water gauge that is and has been empty for a while.  

Here in OK, it's as green as I have ever seen it for this time of year.  We still have had only 1 day over 100 here in OKC.  Quite unusual, to say the least.  They are still saying it's the year without a summer.  I guess 90's here don't count.

Anyway - I'm going to bed.  A day shift tomorrow, and I'm driving home tomorrow night for a week off.  Yes - I know - I just started the job.  I want to get my sweet corn put up.  I'd hate to lose my crop of Syngenta BC0805.  For you sweet corn connoisseurs, here ya go:

http://www.syngenta-us.com/seeds/vegetables/sweet_corn/Sweet_Corn_Crop_Guide.pdf

That BC 0805 is the best sweet corn I have ever had.  It MUST be grown in seclusion from other corn by at least 1/4 mile for the best results.  It's great stuff.  I have some cobs at home with my name on them.....

Jen

0 Kudos
11 Replies
bkadds
Advisor

Re: 8 - 14 Late Weather Update

Why the seclusion?
0 Kudos
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

To maintain variety purity. It takes very little pollen drifting in from somewhere else, or a few rouge plants of field corn in the sweet corn patch to alter the flavor of this sweet corn. I never knew how important it was until I worked at the Syngenta Research Station in Stanton, MN. I'm very careful now where I plant my sweet corn. It does make a difference.

Jen
0 Kudos
bkadds
Advisor

My favorite has been a variety called incredible. Finally got some rr and bt this year so definitely helped with the weed control.
0 Kudos
nitefarm
Advisor

We been planting it for years, best sweet corn we ever ate , but did not know you could get it in r.r.

0 Kudos
bkadds
Advisor

I got some seed that is rr and bt, but I am not sure it is incredible. Should have made that more clear. The incredible I have planted in the past I know was conventional.
0 Kudos
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

Broke Farmer - You have until Turesday or Wednesday to get whateve hay you've got laying down baled and put away.  Then it looks like another rainy spell - maybe for as long as 5 - 7 days.

For the rest of us, the cold front that had promis a week from now is gone again.  what we get in the next 7 days, is what we're going to get, maybe to finish out the month, which for some, is going to mean no or very little rain the month of August.

Jen

0 Kudos
ehoff
Frequent Contributor

0 Kudos
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

Ehoff - don't think so......

Jen
0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Supposed to be scattered showers this morning here in South Podunk Country,  four hours of drizzle and or rain just letting up now.

Rain is supposed to be tomorrow, hope the  river doesn't come out and finish off the half of the corn yield that is left after the June mess. 

Hey BA think I'll dust off my crop adjusters number, the fringe area of south Podunk Country isn't called "next year country" for nothing. Hand me a corona and pass me the popcorn.

0 Kudos