cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

8-14 d weather

here is your 2 week forecast from WAGR - ICUL weather radio folks. ...warm in the south, cold to the north, and rainy to the north and east.............looks like old man winter is trying to hold on as long as he can.

For you folks whose topsoil has thawed out, what is that soil moisture profile looking like?......is it going to be germination friendly?..........and as always, we want to hear how the weather "feels" from your area.

Temperature

8 to 14 Day Outlook - Temperature Probability
Precipitation

8 to 14 Day Outlook - Precipitation Probability
0 Kudos
21 Replies
ratnickwi
Friend

Re: 8-14 d weather

still have snow drifts here in se wi,,  last year had corn in the ground by april 17....not this year..extended forecast still shows cold and wet.....

0 Kudos
ratnickwi
Friend

forgot to say..here we are offically out of the drought.   .looking at the drought monitor though,  I hope you guys out in Nebraska/  Western Ia get some moisture...

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

did you see the folks in NW OH/Indy border are dry - down relatively deep in the ground-------even though they are officially outta the drought..........so it sounds like the rain over there will do them some good, as well!!!

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

5-day Forecast for Otis, KS
Date Sun
4/7
Mon
4/8
Tue
4/9
Wed
4/10
Thu
4/11
Weather Condition Thunder Storms Thunder Storms Thunder Storms Rain Partly Cloudy
Weather Thunder Storms Thunder Storms Thunder Storms Rain Partly Cloudy
Temperature (°F)
Low/High
46/74 50/76 54/79 34/50 29/58
Feels Like (°F)
Low/High
42/76 50/77 54/79 22/50 22/58
Dew Point (°F) 45 51 44 25 26
Humidity (%) 48 57 41 46 41
Wind Speed (mph) 13 12 21 19 8
Precipitation
Chance
(%)
35 60 63 44 -
Precipitation
Amount
(inches)
S=Snow, L=Liquid
Rain
Rain
Rain
Rain
None
Evapo-
transpiration

(inches/day)
0.2 0.18 0.31 0.13 0.13

Although we've got rainfall predicted for 4 of the next 5 days, according to this chart our evaporation exceeds the precipitation in all 4 of those days, so needless to say we're not overly optimistic on the short range forecast.  I haven't personally probed my soils for moisture, but according to my agronomist in my wheat & milo stubble fields I've got right at 36" subsoil moisture(no-till fields).  Sounds impressive I know, but as soon as we get corn, soybeans & milo planted that profile will start to diminish rapidly I'm afraid without adequate in season moisture.  However all that being said, we are in no way, shape, or form out of the drought, but we are in much better shape this year than last.  This time in 2012 we where already having daily temperatures in the 80's and 90's.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Currently, in S MN, they have frost down 20-24 inches. Talked with family today around Owatonna and they still have dry subsoil and will not be planting anytime soon.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

c-x-1,    A Toledo TV weatherman stated that March 2013 was the 5th dryest March on record.....I was just in Columbus, Ohio today and noticed the Olentangy river was showing alot of dirt and sand bars......Not that I've seen it every year, but it's the lowest level that I've seen in that river ever.  Also saw come ammonia being applied on the way home with lots of dust flying.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

thanks all,

Shaggy, neat to have the evapotrans rate w/ all other data - let's see if we can get more local forecasts including that ALL important feature.

roarin', top 5 hottest Julys' last yr. NOW March in Oh....warm last spring......90 in Tx, frost down 2 ft in the soil - Mn.....all over the map (no pun intented)---------peak weather extremes are not over yet.

keep it coming!!!

is the north wheat gonna head with this warmth---then get too cold later in the week?

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Project your map through Ontario and it would be representative of our cool weather too.

Certainly not like last year when corn was being planted on a large scale by mid April.

There is still snow where banks were deeper in lee of windbreaks and around woodlots.

Mostly dry on top so you can walk the field without taking the ground with you on your boots but too wet and cold to work (or plant).

Had a good rain in mid March, no gauge but would guess in excess of 25 mm, wet holes in woodlot do have water in them now after snow melt but did not 1st of March. Have had none since except a few light snow falls.

Do not usually depend on soil moisture to grow a crop here as normally have regular showers through the growing season but ususally have lots of soil moisture this time of year and this year we are probably a little less than normal.

Rain forecast this week but it was for today too and we did not get any.

Average to just above average temps for next 14 days forecast except for 3 days below.

Spent the last 2 weeks of March in Bermuda and they had cooler weather than normal for them. Cooler than other visits which were in February.

0 Kudos
Advisor

I too am Ontario. It's cold. It's wet. Some dry surfaces but not underneath that. Got a cold workin on the planter. Some spring wheAt on the driest ground, but that's like 1% or so of total. So nothing.

Some of my ground still has snow on it some is free completely

Nitrogen going on the wheat with the constAnt freeZes

Final touches going on planter. I knew it would be late. Might as well not get a cold in march working at-20
0 Kudos