cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

8-4 Weather Update

I thought that I'd do a quick update this morning for you guys before I hit the road.  Thursday's Jet Stream does have a small area of energy showing on the maps this morning, with the beginnings of a cut-off Low in W NE.

10 Day forecast of 300 mb winds and heights from the GFS model

Shaggy - you'll like this.  Wednesday night into Friday morning, the Gulf does open up a for a day or so, bringing moisture North  This will be mostly an IA and NE event:  I think the models are still a bit strong on the amount of rain that will fall, but this will still be in line with what I saw last week with saying 20% coverage of the Midwest with less than 1/2  inch.  In the vicinity of the Jet Stream, where we could get more vertical development on the thunderstorms, we could see a couple of inches, but, again, this will be the exception, not the rule.  If you get lucky enough to get under one of these cells, consider yourself blessed.

10 Day forecast of surface pressure and precipitation amounts from the GFS model

10 Day forecast of surface pressure and precipitation amounts from the GFS model

Beyond this event, the Gulf shuts back off.  If you get nothing from this, it could be another week.

Stock markets over night are up in Asia and Europe.  Many here are thinking this is the beginning of the big crash.  I don't think so.  I think this is more along the lines of a weed out of weak investors.  I leaned out my portfolio in February, helped by the IRS that took back a nice chunk of the money I had made on the sale of my farm.  That's OK - I did my share for the economy.  My investments now are a long term strategy - I'm in for the long haul on these, and I don't really care what the market does day to day, unlike last fall and winter when I had too much invested in the market.  I'm comfortable now - and sleep at night.  Well - I gotta run.  Back to OKC.

Jen

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: 8-4 Weather Update

My first rest stop - Dow, IA

Walk out in a bean field here just west of the wayside. Beans planted in 30 inch rows. They're nice. Thigh high - just canopied. Lots of pods on these plants, healthy, still flowering. A lot of potential here. 50 - yes, probably more.

Corn field across the road looked good to. Good population (36000+). Just coming out of pollination. Cob I picked - one of the largest - was 14 x 42. Again, nice.

The spring issues are very evident though as I came into IA. Right now, I give the edge to SE MN crops. They overall look better. Here in IA, the beans are a bit farther behind, but OK, corn, I'm seeing again the affects of all the spring water. Bare spots, some yellow corn.

Gotta keep moving. If you happen to see a grey Jeep parked by your field, with a person wearing green crocs and a brown tie die - don't shoot me. I'm just the messenger!

Jen
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

IA and NE only? Thought you said I'd enjoy that forecast Jen? Unless you add KS to that forecast it'll be a nonevent for me. HA HA, I know your trying.
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I'm hoping it will hit you somewhere in the middle. But your in good shape anyway right now, aren't you?

Jen
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Decent shape, but a nice inch or two wouldn't hurt a thing. Ponds were full about a month ago, but some are down to about 1/2 already. Just an attest to how depleted our subsoil moisture is I'm sure.
0 Kudos