cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

80-90mph winds a comin`

Secure your augers, don`t park under a tree.  We could see a hurricane in Iowa.  We are going to have a breeze out out the south, 70 degree temps, then a cold front from the west, on top of that the jet stream is going to arch down and who knows what we`ll get.  I hope just a gentle breeze, but the potential is there for 100mph winds and what are your shingles rated at?   I`ve got a Oak tree west of the house and I log chained it to the base of another Oak to stabilize it when the witch of December comes stealin`.   Don`t forget your machine shed doors!  

Here`s ground zero.

BADeere_1-1639587042585.jpeg

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Wind
Advisor

Re: 80-90mph winds a comin`

Yes, we are at 68* at 11am with sunny skies.  I moved a tractor and pick-up away from an old maple tree that is suspect.  Going to be an interesting day.  The 2020 Derecho cleaned house here but still  need to be alert.  sw, do you have dirt moving in your area?  Non here yet.

0 Kudos
clayton58
Veteran Advisor

Lot of dirt moving here.  I'm 60? miles east of sw.  Hwy 54 between Meade and Plains was closed due to blowing dirt.

0 Kudos
clayton58
Veteran Advisor

This has got to be taking some wheat bushels.  And yet wheat is down 15-20 cents??

0 Kudos
lsc76cat
Senior Advisor

It won't mean anything to cb's friends until it blows thru Chicago and they see that KS dirt and wheat fly by.

I'm looking forward to the day he moves in on them and takes 'em for every nickel they're worth.🤗

My augers are pointed into the wind. (as long as the forecast of westerly wind is accurate)

Just hope the wind swirling around the two 60' silos 100' away don't mess things up.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Wind yes.   Loaded a truck at 8am - wind south and 50-60. But manageable.  By 11 it went sw and dirt blocking visibility down to 40 yards.  Noon daylight was reduced by half  needed lights to drive if you dared.  Ghusty rocking everything.  70-80 gusts and up.  100mph recorded at Lamar co.  With three trucks turned over on Main Street. (3rd party info)

now at 3 visibility better and gusts back to 70 range.  

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Clayton we had damage on the last two cold fronts. Browning and growth loss.  Can’t say if it was quick freeze damage or like today — static elec and sand burn.   There is no wheat in the region that is in good shape.  No rain since early July.  
we moldboarded a couple blowed spots yesterday trying to save the rest. Doubt that helped much. 
in 1996 the wheat was big and rank and three of these big winds in dec Jan feb killed it all.  Planted Milo on every acre with spring rain. 

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Good side.   We haven’t lost power lines yet

0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Veteran Advisor

Screenshot_20211215-152833_Gallery.jpgTook this picture of my rig earlier outside of the hotel in Ulysses, Kansas. I was supposed to haul bred heifers back to Michigan today, but I decided to wait until tomorrow morning to load. 

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

That was very smart Blacksandfarmer, stay safe!

0 Kudos