cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
erikjohnson61y
Veteran Advisor

Re: 80-90mph winds a comin`

Drove through the front west of Yankton after 4pm today. When I took the picture, 61 degrees. 5 miles later, 37 degrees!

Looks like it's tracking a little east of BA's map - sounded like it was going over Sioux City/Western Iowa rather than through the center. We're only supposed to get 60 mph gusts here in SE SD.

Good Luck BA - hope you're hanging in there.

Storm.jpg
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

We`re okay around here, maybe when the Sun comes up I`ll see trees down or something you can`t see from the yardlight.    The town of Rudd Iowa really got hit bad, Albert Lea had damage, town of Hartland had a bank damaged.  Thankfully so far no fatalities reported.    I heard I-80 was shutdown in places due to overturned trailers.  The Saylorville bridge is shutdown.   I hope everyone came out of it in good shape.

0 Kudos
Wind
Advisor

We lost power this morning around 6:30 power just came on.  .66" of rain in an old fashion Summer time thunder storm.  High wind gust of 87 MPH.  Some small branches down.  There where a handful of Tornado warnings in Iowa.  The closest  was near Jefferson IA about 25 miles NW of here.  Yes, there was some damage.  Our Kansas brethren had much higher winds.  I heard from relatives that center pivots were blown over, windows blown out and shop doors ripped off. All from high sustained winds.

Another very strange phenomena, at 8:30 last night my phone gave me an: "poor air quality alert." I stepped outside and smelled smoke.  I very soon learned it was from wild fires some where in Kansas 400 to 500 miles to my SW!!  

I doubt  there was much grain movement yesterday.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Black Sand --thanks for the picture and report.........

Thought of you a time or two in that wind.  I loaded 5 in the morning with milo destined to Coolidge Ks......(west of Syracuse). The other 6 trucks parked it for the day.  Three of those 5, wandered into Ulysses and learned every road out of town was closed down..... Two were Rock Tran. LLC out of Eads and Holly, Colorado--- They were heading into the worst of it.  I was glad they got stopped somewhere safe.     Today they told me how much dirt they cleaned out of the air filters.

Its a nice place to drive for a living except for that occasional breeZe.

0 Kudos
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Nuthin’ to see here.

Move along.

0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Veteran Advisor

SW, a hopper stopped into the lot near where my truck was parked, could have been one of those you loaded.

That same day 2 people died in a wreck between Ulysses and Johnson. The story I got was 2 cars collided, then when first responders arrived a truck hauling corn unable to see the original wreck slammed into the original wreck and first responder vehicles. It was a bad day for Kansas. 

Not sure how much longer I will be going to Kansas. I've been running the 21 hour haul almost every week for 2 months now, and fatigue is starting to set in. That, and the outfit that I use for a broker is a bit on the disorganized side. It's been a good experience though. 

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

That is a long haul black sand,  desolate to heavy traffic, and a large range of "climate change"...

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

Blacksands ,  I  always  thought  this ,  truck  brokers   ,  or  maybe  truck  BU$TER$ ,  would  be  better  slogan ,   KEEP  YOUR   ACCOUNTS  RECIEVABLES  CURRENT  -  -  -

Merry  Christmas ,  hats  off  to  you  guys ! !  Happy  Trails  !  !