Did you mean: 
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

9 - 12 Weather Update

Good Morning.   It's a chilly start this morning across much of the US:

US: Current Temperatures

And in Canada tonight:

Day 1 Canada 24 Hour Low Temperature Forecast

lots of frost potential as temps drop near the freezing point.

As C -X -1 has already posted, there are many frost and freeze advisories out for this morning already, with more to come.  We are expecting a record low high today in OK, as we won't climb out of the 50's.  Our normal high here is still around 86.  In Miami, OK (NE part of state) lows tonight are supposed to dip into the high 30's, here, in OK!!!

Last night when I got home, I saw this:

10 Day forecast of 1000 mb (near-surface) temperature and wind from the GFS model

This is BIG trouble for out neighbors to the north in Ontario.  Better get out the blankets and the fans - it's the only thing now that is probably not going to stop the crops from being killed in Ontario come next Wednesday night.  This one is not a frost - it's a freeze, and the growing season will end for many up there next week.

For some of us here in the States, tomorrow night doesn't look good either:

10 Day forecast of 1000 mb (near-surface) temperature and wind from the GFS model

Low lying areas will probably be killed with this, and frost will be out there in parts of MN, WI, IA, MO, and IL.  We will probably have to wait for Monday to have the reports come in.

Under this High:

10 Day forecast of surface pressure and precipitation amounts from the GFS model

skies will clear, wind will decrease, and the will be pockets out there that will get cold enough to kill some plants.

Our next major rain event in the US is still a few days away:

10 Day forecast of surface pressure and precipitation amounts from the GFS model

But rainfall amounts and coverage have been increasing with this system.  In the above map you can also see what is happening to the pressure systems and fronts that should be coming ashore for the West Coast.  Pushed North into Canada.  Still.  You can also see a week from now a tropical system in the Gulf.  It's not a strong system, and will not be able to garner enough strength to turn into a hurricane before it comes ashore and rains itself out in the Gulf states.

That's it for this morning - stay warm.  It's parka weather here in OK!  Our last two classes down there have done much better.  We lost 4 two weeks ago and only lost 3 yesterday, with one of those quitting before the final test (he needed a 96 to pass).  That's more on track of what we should be doing down here for failures.

Jen

0 Kudos
6 Replies
OKdon
Senior Contributor

Re: 9 - 12 Weather Update

60 degrees is parka weather? Here all the time I thought Okies were weinies. I'll just bet you that you will see more Okies in shorts today than you see in parkas

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

About as good and graphic as it gets.

A Global Warming enthusiast talking "chilly, parka, frost, freeze" in/for the new corn belt while the out of place beans are still green and the corn is in the milk stage. 

We are predicted to have the lowest "high" ever recorded today.....problem is records only go back about 130 years out of millions and millions.

Guy's were running their heaters in the combines in North Dakota yesterday doing wheat harvest.

0 Kudos
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

I wouldn't call myself a 'global warming enthusiast' - more like a 'global warming realist'. And yes, coming out of solar max, we should be very hot right now. The sun is not as active as it should be here still at solar max.
Enough said.

I'm out shopping this morning - not a pair of shorts to be seen. It's a cold, miserable rainy day. From the parka stand point - I'll wait until I see what the guards at the airport gate are wearing, not quite fair because it will be the middle of the afternoon. I'm sure they were out there on their parkas this morning - because I've seen it before at these temps. At the shopping area here (not an indoor mall - outdoor store access) I'm seeing everything from (mostly) hoodies to heavier coats to short sleeves - but no one, no one in shorts. We'll see what are gate guards have on.

Jen
0 Kudos
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

Oh - and 1 more thing about the global warming - no one who is in touch with the global warming that I know is enthusiastic about it - quite the opposite. We see trouble on the horizon. It's like a war, you can hear the battle raging in the distance - would you be "enthusiastic" that death and destruction was on your door step?

Jen
0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

And you want it colder.

0 Kudos
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

Hobby, you simply don't understand.  I don't know how to make it any more plain than what I have done in the past.  And I'm not going to repeat what I have said, because your mind is made up on the issue, and is closed from what you don't want to see.  I've seen people like that before - I worked with a bunch of them.  Their thinking was that the money they made was enough to insulate them from what they deemed as "not to their standard".   For many of these people, getting their hands dirty, and anyone that did - was "not to their standard".  Obviously, I wasn't to "their" standard - but they didn't know that when they checked me out at the facility.  My, what games we have to play to fit into a particular group of the society mold.  And it's all unspoken.  It's just the way it is....

Jen

0 Kudos