cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

9 - 13 Frost Update

Lots of comments from down below in many different posts.  Maybe we can begin to consolidate them on one post, so we can get an idea of what is happening out there in the fields.  Here's the latest for tonight:

10 Day forecast of 1000 mb (near-surface) temperature and wind from the GFS model

The area for tonight has expanded a bit, but not any colder.  MN is going to get it again, and although it's not that cold, I'm not sure what a multi-night frost is going to do to the crops.  Usually, with an early frost like this, it's a one night event, and it's over.  Maybe someone else has had some personal experience with this one, and can chime in.

Jen

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Re: 9 - 13 Frost Update

Still frost on the beans at 9:30 AM.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Started raining at midnight here... Clouds will persist through sunday
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

How cold did it get in Central WI?  I actually wasn't expecting you to get it that bad last night.  Dew points from what I saw over by my farm only got down to 35 or so.  MN is much worse.  And MN and WI could also see it again tonight...

Jen

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Farmerguy, your issue isn't until Wednesday:

10 Day forecast of 1000 mb (near-surface) temperature and wind from the GFS model

this is the one pertinent to you.  This is the latest for you guys in Manitoba and especially Ontario.  90% plus of Ontartio could take a frost with these, the dark blue is going to freeze.  This map hasn't changed much the last few days.  It's probably gong to happen.

Jen

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Jenny, I'm not too far away from you. Across the river from Red Wing. I had 31, hired man that is 12 miles east of me had 26!!!!!!!!! I have crops over there too. Uh ohh.......
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Our overnight lows from last night:

US: Actual Low Temps

Remember, these are National Weather Service readings, usually taken at the towns airport.  There is still the 'heat island' affect, and outlying areas can and will be colder than we see above.  This map is bad news.  Bad, bad news, I don't care how the bears want to spin this and pretend "It's no big deal".  It is a big deal.  And it's not over.....

Jen

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Sure am glad I don't live near Amarillo, Texas.  Map shows that they retreated all the way down to 1.  Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Uh ohhh...is right.  When I saw the map above, that I was waiting for, it made me gasp.  I think this is serious.  More than even I thought, because this is not just 'Northern Tier'.   Uh ohhh....

Jen

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

No kidding Shag - Can't believe it got that cold down there with all the HOT air coming out of the Houston area - lol

0 Kudos