cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: 9 - 13 Frost Update

sure,

I'm a producer - hadn't you seen the photo's of my elevator/dryer posted on here a couple weeks ago? from I-10...

...and how'd you know i like to wear panties?  d'ya get holt a one "o" dem flyin' movie camera thangys from BF - and be survey-ling 'round in these parts...now i'm reelly skayrd!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Never understood how farmers can drag themselves out of bed everyday while believing that every crop is probably the worst they've ever raised. The negativity of farmers on these boards never ceases to amaze me.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

What is goofy is farmers who think a crop is graranteed when they plant it.  No let's say guaranteed when they order the seed. 

How on earth can a farmer get up every morning and think that he is raising one of his best crops ever  ---- optimism----- and ignore the fact that we have the best demand ever for our product.--- we need record crops.----- pessimism

Half of this crop will be raised by folks who have greater risk levels,  and cannot afford to get out of bed depending on a great crop.  

If farming is so good why are there less than half the number of farms there were when I began 50 years ago??  And the next few years may trim it again.

Negativity is being sure your crop is so big it won't be profitable in the future.  Selling it before raising it because you believe in its size.  Therefore driving the price down before it exists. 

Optimism is knowing you can be profitable without a crop if you need to and don't have to market it at harvest or before.

Inflation of cost of production has not stopped ------ be optimistic about that.

Will you reduce acres accordingly?  Or depend on the higher risk fringe half to do it for you.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

What is goofy is farmers who think a crop is graranteed when they plant it.  No let's say guaranteed when they order the seed. 

I dont know about out there sw - but they will tell yeah that it will make 300 bpa - in the bag of course

How on earth can a farmer get up every morning and think that he is raising one of his best crops ever  ---- optimism----- and ignore the fact that we have the best demand ever for our product.--- we need record crops.----- pessimism

How on earth can a farmer get up every moring and think that he is raising one of his best crops ever - lol sw why would you get up and think it would be your worse ? 

Half of this crop will be raised by folks who have greater risk levels,  and cannot afford to get out of bed depending on a great crop.  

For me - can't get out of bed with bad knee - no kidding - lol

If farming is so good why are there less than half the number of farms there were when I began 50 years ago??  And the next few years may trim it again.

The kids - have did a good job of learning from us -- why would they what to put them selfs threw what we do or there grand dads ??  Go to work - get a check  , go home , play with wife , kids and dog = not as many worries .

Negativity is being sure your crop is so big it won't be profitable in the future.  Selling it before raising it because you believe in its size.  Therefore driving the price down before it exists. 

This is just marketing - right or wrong

Optimism is knowing you can be profitable without a crop if you need to and don't have to market it at harvest or before.

Optimism ??? I would say closer to - just having the coin to make it threw the bad times  and not worry about one bad crop or prices .

Inflation of cost of production has not stopped ------ be optimistic about that.

Will you reduce acres accordingly?  Or depend on the higher risk fringe half to do it for you.

Nope - will plant everything I have - But why cut back ? That is our jobs - to out produce what we sell - it's been that way forever - if we cut back and the prices went up then wth would there be to talk about on here ? lol

fringe area cut back ? crop insurance will make that call - nobody else .

Thanks for posting up good stuff sw - enjoy it here .

ken

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I start every year planning for an average or above average crop. I select hybrids and other inputs with this in mind. Why in the hell should I start every year planning for failure? I have had far more really good years than bad years in my career. It is the law of averages. Sure, a bad year is going to hit now and then but you don't figure on it year in and year out. If you plan for failure you will surely fail. You guys start every year while the seed is still in the bag telling all the ways the crop is already in trouble. That is no way to live.
0 Kudos