cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

9 -19 Weather Forecast (Early Edition)

Good Evening.  A couple of big changes coming in the upcoming weather.  These a still a ways off, but noteworthy right now.  First, the Jet Stream ten days from now.  I know it's a long way away, but take a look:

10 Day forecast of 300 mb winds and heights from the GFS model

Remember that cut-off Low in the Jet Stream from earlier this year, that gave the SW quite a bit of rain?  Well, this one is bigger, and could be soaker.  Again, this is ten days from now:

10 Day forecast of surface pressure and precipitation amounts from the GFS model

Once that cut-off Low breaks off, it depends on where it goes and how long it sticks around.  The one last earlier this year, stuck around 4 - 5 days, and was the beginning of the drought buster in the plains.  My guess is this one will follow a similar track - over KS, NE, OK, and dip SE into AR before probably getting reincorporated into the Jet.

Also, a week away, for Washington State and Oregon, finally, a shot at some rainfall coming in:

10 Day forecast of surface pressure and precipitation amounts from the GFS model

A low is finally able to dip down low enough, and sneak past the High in the Pacific to deliver some much needed rainfall.  Again, still a week away, a lot can change - stay tuned.

Jen

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: 9 -19 Weather Forecast (Early Edition)

Thanks Jen! I hope it isn't too late...I heard at the local coffee shop that the fish have given up and grown legs.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: 9 -19 Weather Forecast (Early Edition)

Hi Jenny

Just to update you on the cold spell in Ontario.

went to 3C last night here and from reports I have heard that seems quite a widespread area.

Some reports of frost on rooves but no evidence of any plant damage.

Saved with a nice breeze probably.

Thanks for your reports.

0 Kudos