cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

$9 Corn

Just a reminder after that crop insurance washes their hands of you.  This from the other site 

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1002157&mid=9044282#M9044282    

It isn`t science fiction to say it`s possible to get to $12-$14 corn and that could bankrupt almost as many farmers than $3 did.  If crop conditions of 2012 or 1987 materialize, I don`t want to have to deliver $5 corn and you can bet grain mechanizers would want the physical corn in that instance.   I know, the rains will come and the sunshine and we`ll raise the 15 billion bushel crop and $3.00 corn again, however if we don`t, I don`t recall a time when the risk reward was greater.

Some would say "aw, $12 corn`d kill ethanol demand and cattle feeding"   wellll, what if gas goes to $5.50 and hamburger goes to $12/lb?   The public is still not recovered from the panic of Covid, they hoarded toilet paper at ridiculous prices, figuring just get through a few months.  Throw in there more stimulus checks sent out, extended unemployment benefits and there would be the dollars to chase the extra groceries.  

Remember the old axiom of 5¢ of wheat in a $4 box of cereal?  You could quadruple the price of the wheat and the cereal box would still cost multiples of it`s main ingredient.  

Of course this probably won`t happen, but the possibilities have never been less farfetched.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: $9 Corn

Tire fixin` Sunday afternoon.  I bought a tractor in about 1986 and these Goodyear 18.4 34`s are the same ones, probably a couple years old when i bought the tractor they are over 35 years old.  Blew the tire mowing, of course fluid in it.  I bought a pair of 18.4 34 Goodrich duals just for the 9 bolt dual hubs...for 10 bucks at a sale.  So I peeled one of them tires off and the tube is good too.   Oh I`m glad I was awake at that sale!   🙂

0 Kudos
rsbs
Veteran Advisor

So BA, you are not going to fix the old tire? just kidding.

Tires are really high priced, and probably will remain so. I have an H tractor that had a soybean stem go through it last fall, and am wondering about booting it, or a rubber sleeve like I remember seeing on an M , to increase the plies.

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Didn't know anybody but two of my neighbor s and myself  did the do it yourself tractor tire thing anymore.

Do our own semi tires and other tires too. 

Kind of like hauling to your own bins in harvest season, always open when you need it to be.

Usually not so bad with the mostly right tools.

Sometimes the money you make is the money you don't spend.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Always............................................

no exceptions.....................

0 Kudos
rickgthf
Senior Advisor

Re: Spring price was $4.58

Two times 4.58 = $9.16, not too worried.

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Don't forget to multiply that # by your coverage level. 

75 = $6.87

80 = $7.32

85 = $7.79

So NO it still isn't $9 anything

AND you HAVE TO HAVE THE HARVEST PRICE OPTION Ryder.

erikjohnson61y
Veteran Advisor

I've sold enough new crop to pay my rent, 2022 seed, and fall fertilizer. Sitting tight on the rest. Of course, I'm only planning on $1000/ton MAP...

nitefarm
Advisor

Shame on you Hobby, there you go again bringing FACTS into the conversation. 😜

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

nightfarmer, I'd say I'm sorry, but I'm really not.

I see our friend lsccat up in Minnesota is under a heat, wind, and burn advisory. Not something you'd expect to see in South central Minn first week of June.

0 Kudos