Veteran Contributor

A New Meaning For Farmer's Market

A kid growing up on a farm passes by his neighbor's farm everyday on the way to and from school. And he sees the same old rusted car and beaten up tractor sitting in the farmer's yard every day, never getting any use. 

Around Thanksgiving, the local church had a community get together, and the kid was there with his parents. Spotting the neighbor, he goes over to him and asks "If you're not going to use that old car and old tractor, why don't you sell it and at least get some money for the scrap metal value of the machines ?

To which the old farmer replied, "Kid, I won't sell 'em because I can't get what they're worth !"

Contributor

Re: A New Meaning For Farmer's Market

Do you have any idea how many of us have purchased an old car, truck, or tractor at a price that was many times what it sold for new? We happily do that just to get one back like we learned on 40 years ago. Maybe not good marketing since but it makes us happy. Oh by the way they are not really good for anything but to look at and play with from time to time.

Veteran Contributor

I personally like the older machines and especially tools. I still use most of the tools I bought in the early-1980's, they were made better and get the job done. Someone here was just talking the other day about how reliable his Ford =-150 tractor still is, even though it can't do some of the things the newer machinery does.

The point of the story was a play on what you here a lot of farmers say when prices for crops are not exactly where the farmer would like them. Its a cute little analogy that was meant to make farmers laugh, as it was told to me from a farmer friend of mine,

Honored Advisor

Comical irony in that story, however what I learned with scrap iron "even if you don`t sell it, you don`t have to smell it".   Smiley Happy

Veteran Contributor

Speaking of the malodorous emissions that can come from farm produce, I grew up about a mile away from a 50 acre working farm where cabbage was grown in the summer. It was before the time when air conditioning became a ubiquitous feature in cars, and so in the summers you had to keep all the car windows down in order to avoid heat exhaustion. Whenever we drove past that farm we faced a Hobson's Choice...roll up the windows and suffer from the heat, or keep the windows open and suffer from the stench of ripening cabbage.

We got our revenge on that purveyor of foul odors in the fall when he grew pumpkins for Halloween, sneaking into the back corner of his farm to enrich ourselves with a plumb fruit of the vine that would come to life as a Jack-o-Lantern as soon as we could get our dads to perform surgery on our new acquisition cut out the face and all the seeds inside.

One of the mothers of our crew actually made us go back and apologize to the farmer for absconding with his pumpkins...she obviously was either nose blind, or had a car with air conditioning.