cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

A little too early to celebrate but it looks like maybe we're back in business growing and selling..

It may be a little too early to celebrate but it looks like maybe we're back in business growing and selling food & fuel to the nation and world.

We won't have to worry about having our world markets cut off and renewable fuels won't be under active aggressive attack.

It's been a long four years, let's hope Biden resurrects TPP and finish opening-up those markets and puts an end to all this refinery waiver nonsense.  You want to sell E15, set the mandate at 15 billion gallons.

16 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: A little too early to celebrate but it looks like maybe we're back in business growing and selli

you celebrate now.

The next four years will be worse than what Jimmy Carter left us.

Lets keep track of the missery index.

Remember  these prices are under Trump.

Cheap fuel ($1.76) gas yesterday

$11.00 beans $4.00 corn

Bet it doesnt take Slow Joe very many of his 4 years to screw that up.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: A little too early to celebrate but it looks like maybe we're back in business growing and selli

@Hobbyfarmer wrote:

you celebrate now.

The next four years will be worse than what Jimmy Carter left us.

Lets keep track of the missery index.

Remember  these prices are under Trump.

Cheap fuel ($1.76) gas yesterday

$11.00 beans $4.00 corn

Bet it doesnt take Slow Joe very many of his 4 years to screw that up.

I'll take my chances...... last time we had a Dem Admin I was selling bred heifers for 6k , open heifers for 4k, unproven bull calves for 5k , steer calves for 2+k , cull cows for 2k .... fats for 2+k ...... see below for current.

As of  Thursday November 5, 2020
Beef Fed Cattle                                               104 and Down
Holstein Fed Cattle                                            97 and Down

Market Cows
20% Cows Selling                                              52 - 89
Next 60% Cows Selling                                       40 - 52

Bulls
80% Market Bulls                                               60 – 83

Calves - 85 - 110 lbs                                                           / CWT
Quality Bull Calves                                           200 and down  
Good Quality Heifers                                          50 and down
Beef and Beef Cross Calves                               265 and down 

Feeder Cattle   as of Saturday October 31, 2020
Beef Steers under 400                                        115 - 175
Beef Steers  400-600                                         135 - 168
Beef Steers 600-800                                          122 - 151
Beef steers over 800                                          100 – 135

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: If you're paying $1.76 per gallon for motor vehicle fuel, you're .....

If you're paying $1.76 per gallon for motor vehicle fuel, you're getting screwed.  I pay the equivalent of 55 cents per gallon for electricity to run my car.

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: If you're paying $1.76 per gallon for motor vehicle fuel, you're .....

what a small narrow little mind you have.

Did a one day business trip yesterday. Your little electric get a bout wouldn't been able to carry what I needed on the job site and needed to bring home.

Also it was 240 miles each way.

Your little roller skate wouldn't have made it in more ways than one.

By the way sold several semi loads of beans yesterday for $10.87

According to your other thread guess we were supposed to be shouting from the rafters about our business? 

Mine is doing mighty fine. My tax bill is more than most make gross in town.

I don't need or want your narrow little race track to run on.

One size does NOT fit all. Yours is way too small...

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

With cattle, they`ve defied gravity all through this commodity "correction" corn went from $7 to $3 beans went from $13 to $8, oil went from $150 to $40.   Cattle went from $160 to pretty much $120 but now a dippsey-doo in the low $100s???  cry me a river.  

Americans love beef and we export the yucky parts, drought in the west they are always saying "lowest cattle numbers since the 50`s".  Dow in the high 20,000`s, they open their 401K and go splurge on prime rib.  No, for a commodity cattle have quietly flown under the radar and done quite well. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Upwards of 20 million unemployed.....

With upwards of 20 million unemployed and 400,000 dead by Jan. doesn't do much for beef consumption.

Highlighted

People in their 80's in nursing homes don't eat a lot of beef... or anything!  That's who's dying of Covid. And if you roughly estimate (since the overall death rate is still 100%) that 1% die each year anyway, that makes 3.31 million dead in 2020 in the USA. Even if your estimate is not high, and even if NONE of those people would have died this year anyway, this year it will be 3.71 million deaths.

I think the last time war or pestilence actually decreased the human population, it was Genghis Khan.  Everything else may slow the growth imperceptibly, but that's it.

Surprised you have a EV instead of a flex fuel E85 pickup...  People with EV's don't eat much beef either!!!! Alcohol is a much better fuel than batteries.  I drive a 2001 Ram 3500 for pulling stuff. 310K miles, needs TLC now and again, but when it need a new battery, it's $129 at WalMart, not $35,000 at Tesla!!!

Highlighted
Advisor

Poor trumpers wrong again.  Biggest embarrassment in American history is leaving one way or another.  Time to start the long journey of fixing the mess of the last four years.  One day at a time fellas.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@BA Deere wrote:

With cattle, they`ve defied gravity all through this commodity "correction" corn went from $7 to $3 beans went from $13 to $8, oil went from $150 to $40.   Cattle went from $160 to pretty much $120 but now a dippsey-doo in the low $100s???  cry me a river.  

Americans love beef and we export the yucky parts, drought in the west they are always saying "lowest cattle numbers since the 50`s".  Dow in the high 20,000`s, they open their 401K and go splurge on prime rib.  No, for a commodity cattle have quietly flown under the radar and done quite well. 

yes, people do love beef.  Yet they need to be able to afford it as well.  My point is that there is more to the world of Ag than just corn and soybeans.  Corn is a great crop to be sure and soybeans is a great source of protein.  I'm in the process of turning more ground to corn , but to be chopped and in the form of silage. At an average of 20 ton to the acre as forage it bests hay by about 4 times. That hay ground that I won't need will become grass pasture enabling me to run more cows. I do have other sources for energy and protein as supplements , such as Canola and palm fats.  This won't be popular but I can produce tenderness without corn grain feeding and at an economical rate that is unmatched even when corn is less than $2/bu. to buy.

"  The greatest differences between tough and tender steaks were in sarcoplasmic calcium concentration at 24 and 48 hours post-harvest, and desmin level after 17 days of aging. Tender steaks had higher calcium levels and lower desmin levels indicating that higher calcium levels stimulated protein degradation post-harvest".

With improved genetics(Akaushi) I can achieve that intramuscular fat that develops flavor , and tenderness with calcium. I can buy 24 tons of calcium for $1200 delivered.  Real world evaluation has justified this conclusion on my very own animals.

From my perspective , and your post illustrates it , the division of who does what and I ain't going to worry about the other guy attitude is and has been one of the limiting factors across Agriculture holding people in a lose lose paradigm.

0 Kudos